Old 01-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Mark Shuttleworth

Default RFC: screenbin -- like pastebin, but for screen, using Ubuntu in Amazon EC2

Steve Langasek wrote:

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 03:09:15PM -0800, Kees Cook wrote:

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 04:34:24PM -0600, Dustin Kirkland wrote:

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Mark Shuttleworth
<mark.shuttleworth@canonical.com> wrote:

We really need a good way to make packages for multiple releases :-/

While not yet automated, I think the approach that makes the most sense is
to upload the build to the earliest release it builds on, and then
package-copy them within the PPA to the newer releases. This would mimic
the way this happens "naturally" in the archive.

Right - if you're doing a single upload, that's what has to happen anyway;
you can't let the same package get picked up by the buildds for multiple
releases, because then you would have multiple binary packages with the same
version numbers.

Having a way to tell LP to do this for you, rather than having to
fiddle around, would be nice.

There are trickier cases, where the same code will build just fine on
different releases, given a few tweaks to build deps, for example.

Mark

Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Mark Shuttleworth

Scott Kitterman wrote:

I think for the archive, this is of limited value. We need to be clear about practices that
are appropriate for the archive and ones that are appropriate for 3rd party repositories such
as PPAs.

Yes - this is mainly for folks building their own archives, and PPA's.

Mark