Old 01-13-2009, 09:34 PM
"Dustin Kirkland"

Default RFC: screenbin -- like pastebin, but for screen, using Ubuntu in Amazon EC2

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Mark Shuttleworth
<mark.shuttleworth@canonical.com> wrote:
> We really need a good way to make packages for multiple releases :-/

CC-ing ubuntu-devel@, as I think this discussion would benefit from
their input...

I agree...

I've struggled with this now for several small packages that I've
created from scratch which (fortunately) do not depend on the Ubuntu
release (screenbin, screen-profiles, update-motd, musica). I build
source packages separately for each release, bump each version, and
push separately to my PPA.

It would be nice to use wildcards, comparators, or lists in the
release field in the changelog and have Launchpad/PPAs/Soyuz sort out
the build complexy, pushing the .deb file to the correct locations and
lists.

For example, changelog entries that might look like:
foo (1.0-0ubuntu1) *; urgency=low
bar (1.0-0ubuntu1) dapper,hardy,intrepid; urgency=low
baz (1.8) >dapper; urgency=low
blah (1.3) <=jaunty; urgency=low

Or, if not handled on the build side, perhaps on the developer end, by
a changelog preprocessor built into the devscripts, that would parse
this entry and perhaps construct a list of releases to build, and
iterate over that list?

Is this a violation of Debian policy? I imagine that I have
oversimplified the technical details ;-) But there are enough smart
people on these lists that I'm sure we can zero in on a viable
solution.

--
:-Dustin

Old 01-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Kees Cook

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 04:34:24PM -0600, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Mark Shuttleworth
> <mark.shuttleworth@canonical.com> wrote:
> > We really need a good way to make packages for multiple releases :-/

While not yet automated, I think the approach that makes the most sense is
to upload the build to the earliest release it builds on, and then
package-copy them within the PPA to the newer releases. This would mimic
the way this happens "naturally" in the archive.

> Is this a violation of Debian policy? I imagine that I have
> oversimplified the technical details ;-) But there are enough smart
> people on these lists that I'm sure we can zero in on a viable
> solution.

Right, basically, a "release" is just a list of the binary packages, so
there can't be one packages with the same version uploaded to a PPA for
different releases (since it already exists in the PPA). What needs to be
enhanced is the ability for a PPA owner to specify which releases a binary
is valid for (i.e. a package-copy from one release list to another).
Generally this is not done so that the build is required to make sure
things like ABI are sane.

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team