Old 12-23-2007, 05:31 PM
Ricardo Pérez López

Default Proposal about gnome-bluetooth

Hi, list:

Bluetooth devices are very common among average computer users, so to
ease the use of that devices in Ubuntu could be a Good Thing.

I would like to propose the following points about gnome-bluetooth:

1. Promote gnome-bluetooth from universe to main.

2. Install it by default in any desktop installations, or maybe install
it only if the installer detects Bluetooth hardware.

3. If the user installs a Bluetooth hardware (for example, the user
plugs an USB Bluetooth adapter), the system must installs the
gnome-bluetooth package automatically, if it's not already installed.
(This point is done by Guadalinex [http://www.guadalinex.org], a Spanish
Ubuntu-derived distro.)

4. When the user activates the Bluetooth adapter, the gnome-obex-server
application must be started automatically, in order to let the user to
receive files via Bluetooth. (This point is done by Guadalinex, too.)

I reported this as a bug/wishlist in Launchpad some time ago:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/160022

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo Pérez (https://launchpad.net/~ricardo)

Old 12-24-2007, 02:25 AM
"Mackenzie Morgan"

I'll second the part about "if hardware is detected" (both during and post-install).

On Dec 23, 2007 1:31 PM, Ricardo Pérez López <ricardo@iesdonana.org
> wrote:
Hi, list:

Bluetooth devices are very common among average computer users, so to

ease the use of that devices in Ubuntu could be a Good Thing.

I would like to propose the following points about gnome-bluetooth:

1. Promote gnome-bluetooth from universe to main.

2. Install it by default in any desktop installations, or maybe install

it only if the installer detects Bluetooth hardware.

3. If the user installs a Bluetooth hardware (for example, the user
plugs an USB Bluetooth adapter), the system must installs the
gnome-bluetooth package automatically, if it's not already installed.

(This point is done by Guadalinex [http://www.guadalinex.org], a Spanish
Ubuntu-derived distro.)

4. When the user activates the Bluetooth adapter, the gnome-obex-server

application must be started automatically, in order to let the user to
receive files via Bluetooth. (This point is done by Guadalinex, too.)

I reported this as a bug/wishlist in Launchpad some time ago:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/160022

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

Ricardo Pérez (https://launchpad.net/~ricardo)

Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169
ACM Member #3445683

http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com <-my blog of Ubuntu stuff
apt-get moo

Old 02-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Dennis Kaarsemaker

On zo, 2008-02-03 at 19:49 +0100, Ricardo Pérez López wrote:

> 1. Promote gnome-bluetooth from universe to main.

I'd like to say -1 to that. gnome-bluetooth is deprecated as far as I
know and work is underway for a replacement:

http://www.hadess.net/2008/01/2-down-3-to-go.html
--
Dennis K.

The universe tends towards maximum irony. Don't push it.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:52 PM
"Corey Burger"

[...]

This needs to be done via HAL. I have no idea what the status of that work is. I know both Matthew Garrett and Ross Burton worked on it in the past.

Corey
*