Old 12-29-2008, 06:22 AM
Martin Meredith

Default apt wants to downgrade packages with pin-priority less than 1000

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 09:14:56PM +0200, Alon Swartz wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Firstly, let me introduce myself, I am one of the developers for TurnKey
> Linux, an opensource project that develops a family of lightweight
> installable Ubuntu based Live CD appliances optimized for various
> server-type tasks.
>
> Now, down to business...
>
> Summary
> -------
>
> apt will attempt to downgrade an installed package if the pin-priority
> of the package is greater than 99.
>
> apt will not downgrade when pin-priorty is 99 or below because the
> already installed package automatically gets a priority of 100.
>
> According to the apt_preferences manpage (mentioned several times), apt
> will *never* downgrade a package unless the priority of an available
> version exceeds 1000.
>
> Details
> -------
>
> I came across this issue because our package repository has not yet been
> updated with the latest package, but the latest package has been
> installed on the system.
>
> Although this shouldn't matter, apt seems to be breaking its own rules
> (unless I am missing something...)
>
> My testing system:
> Ubuntu 8.04.1 (Hardy)
> apt 0.7.9ubuntu17.1 for i386 compiled on Oct 27 2008 18:11:08
>
> # dpkg -s drupal5 |grep Version
> Version: 5.12-2
>
> # cat /etc/apt/preferences
> Package: drupal5
> Pin: release o=turnkeylinux
> Pin-Priority: 999
>
> Note: the pin-priority can be anything larger than 99 to reproduce this,
> and the same situation happens with other packages.
>
> # apt-cache policy drupal5
> drupal5:
> Installed: 5.12-2
> Candidate: 5.10-3
> Package pin: 5.10-3
> Version table:
> *** 5.12-2 999
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> 5.10-3 999
> 500 http://archive.turnkeylinux.org hardy-security/universe Packages
> 5.7-1ubuntu1.1 999
> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-security/universe Packages
>
> # apt-get install drupal5
> The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
> drupal5
>
> In other words, the installed version is 5.12-2 but apt wants to
> downgrade to the eariler version 5.10-3.
>
> Is this a bug in apt, a bug in the documentation, or am I
> mis-understanding something?

Is that the full of your apt preferences? Policy is reporting you've pinned the
package by version.

Can you pastebin your full preferences file, and the output of apt-config dump?

Old 12-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Alon Swartz

Martin Meredith wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 09:14:56PM +0200, Alon Swartz wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Firstly, let me introduce myself, I am one of the developers for TurnKey
>> Linux, an opensource project that develops a family of lightweight
>> installable Ubuntu based Live CD appliances optimized for various
>> server-type tasks.
>>
>> Now, down to business...
>>
>> Summary
>> -------
>>
>> apt will attempt to downgrade an installed package if the pin-priority
>> of the package is greater than 99.
>>
>> apt will not downgrade when pin-priorty is 99 or below because the
>> already installed package automatically gets a priority of 100.
>>
>> According to the apt_preferences manpage (mentioned several times), apt
>> will *never* downgrade a package unless the priority of an available
>> version exceeds 1000.
>>
>> Details
>> -------
>>
>> I came across this issue because our package repository has not yet been
>> updated with the latest package, but the latest package has been
>> installed on the system.
>>
>> Although this shouldn't matter, apt seems to be breaking its own rules
>> (unless I am missing something...)
>>
>> My testing system:
>> Ubuntu 8.04.1 (Hardy)
>> apt 0.7.9ubuntu17.1 for i386 compiled on Oct 27 2008 18:11:08
>>
>> # dpkg -s drupal5 |grep Version
>> Version: 5.12-2
>>
>> # cat /etc/apt/preferences
>> Package: drupal5
>> Pin: release o=turnkeylinux
>> Pin-Priority: 999
>>
>> Note: the pin-priority can be anything larger than 99 to reproduce this,
>> and the same situation happens with other packages.
>>
>> # apt-cache policy drupal5
>> drupal5:
>> Installed: 5.12-2
>> Candidate: 5.10-3
>> Package pin: 5.10-3
>> Version table:
>> *** 5.12-2 999
>> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>> 5.10-3 999
>> 500 http://archive.turnkeylinux.org hardy-security/universe Packages
>> 5.7-1ubuntu1.1 999
>> 500 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-security/universe Packages
>>
>> # apt-get install drupal5
>> The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
>> drupal5
>>
>> In other words, the installed version is 5.12-2 but apt wants to
>> downgrade to the eariler version 5.10-3.
>>
>> Is this a bug in apt, a bug in the documentation, or am I
>> mis-understanding something?
>
> Is that the full of your apt preferences? Policy is reporting you've pinned the
> package by version.
>
> Can you pastebin your full preferences file, and the output of apt-config dump?

The above mentioned /etc/apt/preferences is my full preferences file.
I have pinned the package to the release origin, not specifying a version.

# grep Origin
/var/lib/apt/lists/archive.turnkeylinux.org_ubuntu_dists_hardy_Releas e
Origin: turnkeylinux

The output of apt-config dump is available at the following link,
although it looks like a vanilla ubuntu configuration:
http://ubuntu.pastebin.com/f73a5138b

Cheers,
Alon Swartz

--
Website: http://www.turnkeylinux.org
Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/~alonswartz

Old 12-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Alon Swartz

note: resending my below reply (and cc to mez) due to cryptic "this mail
is refused message":
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2008-December/027095.html

Old 01-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Alon Swartz

Hi Guys,

I never really got much response from my original mail describing the
issue, so I decided to reproduce the issue using a vanilla ubuntu
package and the ubuntu repositories directly (so you can see for
yourselves).

I have chosen base-files as its a small package without any build-deps,
but any package would work.

# dpkg -s base-files |grep Version
Version: 4.0.1ubuntu5.8.04.3

# grep deb-src /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sources.list
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-updates main

# apt-get source base-files
dpkg-source: extracting base-files in base-files-4.0.1ubuntu5.8.04.3
dpkg-source: unpacking base-files_4.0.1ubuntu5.8.04.3.tar.gz

# head debian/changelog
base-files (4.0.1ubuntu5.8.04.3-1) hardy-proposed; urgency=low

* testing pinning issue

-- Alon Swartz <alon@turnkeylinux.org> Tue, 06 Jan 2009 00:00:00 +0000

# dpkg-buildpackage -b -tc

# dpkg -i base-files_4.0.1ubuntu5.8.04.3-1_i386.deb
Setting up base-files (4.0.1ubuntu5.8.04.3-1) ...

# dpkg -s base-files |grep Version
Version: 4.0.1ubuntu5.8.04.3-1

# cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: base-files
Pin: release o=Ubuntu
Pin-Priority: 999

# apt-cache policy base-files
base-files:
Installed: 4.0.1ubuntu5.8.04.3-1
Candidate: 4.0.1ubuntu5.8.04.3
Package pin: 4.0.1ubuntu5.8.04.3
Version table:
*** 4.0.1ubuntu5.8.04.3-1 999
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
4.0.1ubuntu5.8.04.3 999
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main Packages
4.0.1ubuntu5 999
500 http://archive.ubuntu.com hardy/main Packages

# apt-get install base-files
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
base-files

In other words, apt wants to downgrade a package even though the
pin-priority is less than 1000, which goes against all the
documentation.