Old 12-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Aaron Toponce

Default Help improve the desktop experience! Send screenshots of your 1024x768 desktop

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:36:22PM +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> As part of our work on desktop experience and design, I'm collecting
> screenshots of desktops in action. Please send me yours! Feel free to send

Do you want these sent to you personally, to this list, or where? Also,
do you prefer a specific image format? PNG perhaps?

--
,-O Aaron Toponce
O } Ubuntu Member

Old 12-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Colin Watson

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:36:22PM +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> As part of our work on desktop experience and design, I'm collecting
> screenshots of desktops in action. Please send me yours! Feel free to
> send two or three, with browsers open or email clients or chat windows,
> anything. I'm interested in seeing the diversity of wallpapers, themes,
> panel configurations, window layouts in general use.

Please send responses to this directly to Mark, rather than to this
list. We've had several hundred responses to the list, and the
moderation queue is getting a bit out of hand! I don't think screenshots
need to be distributed to all ubuntu-devel subscribers.

If you want to follow up to this in a way that matches the ubuntu-devel
charter (see
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-December/000227.html),
then please start a new thread with a different subject line, as due to
volume we're likely to be processing the moderation queue in some rather
ham-fisted ways!

Thanks,

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 12-29-2008, 06:01 AM
Martin Meredith

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 01:10:21AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 12:36:22PM +0000, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> > As part of our work on desktop experience and design, I'm collecting
> > screenshots of desktops in action. Please send me yours! Feel free to
> > send two or three, with browsers open or email clients or chat windows,
> > anything. I'm interested in seeing the diversity of wallpapers, themes,
> > panel configurations, window layouts in general use.
>
> Please send responses to this directly to Mark, rather than to this
> list. We've had several hundred responses to the list, and the
> moderation queue is getting a bit out of hand! I don't think screenshots
> need to be distributed to all ubuntu-devel subscribers.
>
> If you want to follow up to this in a way that matches the ubuntu-devel
> charter (see
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-December/000227.html),
> then please start a new thread with a different subject line, as due to
> volume we're likely to be processing the moderation queue in some rather
> ham-fisted ways!

Wouldn't it be easier just to setup some sort of nice "upload a screenshot here"
place? Makes things less confusing, and would probably take less than an hour to
write!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:19 AM
"Iulian Udrea"

2008/12/29 Martin Meredith <mez@ubuntu.com>

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 01:10:21AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:

> Please send responses to this directly to Mark, rather than to this

> list. We've had several hundred responses to the list, and the

> moderation queue is getting a bit out of hand! I don't think screenshots

> need to be distributed to all ubuntu-devel subscribers.

> If you want to follow up to this in a way that matches the ubuntu-devel

> charter (see

> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-December/000227.html),

> then please start a new thread with a different subject line, as due to

> volume we're likely to be processing the moderation queue in some rather

> ham-fisted ways!

Wouldn't it be easier just to setup some sort of nice "upload a screenshot here"

place? Makes things less confusing, and would probably take less than an hour to

write!
Indeed, that would make things more easier. In this case, something like
http://screenshots.debian.net/ looks useful.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:32 PM
Colin Watson

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 07:01:10AM +0000, Martin Meredith wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 01:10:21AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Please send responses to this directly to Mark, rather than to this
> > list. We've had several hundred responses to the list, and the
> > moderation queue is getting a bit out of hand! I don't think screenshots
> > need to be distributed to all ubuntu-devel subscribers.
> >
> > If you want to follow up to this in a way that matches the ubuntu-devel
> > charter (see
> > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-December/000227.html),
> > then please start a new thread with a different subject line, as due to
> > volume we're likely to be processing the moderation queue in some rather
> > ham-fisted ways!
>
> Wouldn't it be easier just to setup some sort of nice "upload a screenshot here"
> place? Makes things less confusing, and would probably take less than an hour to
> write!

I'm just the listmaster, and web applications are neither my field of
expertise nor my field of interest. I'd welcome some ubuntu-desktop type
doing this, but am not going to do it myself ...

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 12-30-2008, 11:51 PM
Martin Meredith

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 11:32:37PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 07:01:10AM +0000, Martin Meredith wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 01:10:21AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > Please send responses to this directly to Mark, rather than to this
> > > list. We've had several hundred responses to the list, and the
> > > moderation queue is getting a bit out of hand! I don't think screenshots
> > > need to be distributed to all ubuntu-devel subscribers.
> > >
> > > If you want to follow up to this in a way that matches the ubuntu-devel
> > > charter (see
> > > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2006-December/000227.html),
> > > then please start a new thread with a different subject line, as due to
> > > volume we're likely to be processing the moderation queue in some rather
> > > ham-fisted ways!
> >
> > Wouldn't it be easier just to setup some sort of nice "upload a screenshot here"
> > place? Makes things less confusing, and would probably take less than an hour to
> > write!
>
> I'm just the listmaster, and web applications are neither my field of
> expertise nor my field of interest. I'd welcome some ubuntu-desktop type
> doing this, but am not going to do it myself ...

If you/someone else is happy to get it through the right channels, I'll be happy
to set up/maintain a screenshots.ubuntu.com in a similar manner to
screenshots.debian.net (using the same code too, if allowed!)

---
Regards,
Martin "Mez" Meredith

Old 01-02-2009, 12:12 AM
"Dustin Kirkland"

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Colin Watson <cjwatson@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I'm just the listmaster, and web applications are neither my field of
> expertise nor my field of interest. I'd welcome some ubuntu-desktop type
> doing this, but am not going to do it myself ...

What about setting up a Launchpad project, desktop-screenshots, and
associating an open bzr branch, writable by all Ubuntu members (or
some other suitably large group) sort of like
lp:~planet-ubuntu/config/main?

I took the liberty of registering
https://launchpad.net/desktop-screenshots and seeded it with the text
of Mark's original email. I'm happy to transfer ownership to whoever
wants it ;-) The bling-brigade, perhaps?

Attached to this project is a bzr branch owned by ubuntumembers:
* lp:~ubuntumembers/desktop-screenshots/uploads

Any Ubuntu Member should be able to branch that, and upload their screenshots.

A hypothetical screenshots.ubuntu.com could pull from that bzr branch
on a regular basis and arrange them appropriately.

Cheers,
--
:-Dustin