Old 12-17-2008, 07:47 AM
Tim

Default notifying users that a release is at EOL (was: feisty still in the archive?)

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 21:11 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> Nevertheless, it would be a great thing if Ubuntu maintainers had a way
> of informing admins of installed systems about important stuff like
> EOL'ing of the release or similar.
>
> Notifications or other well-integrated methods are a better choice I
> guess.

How are you going to get the notification to *all* the right people (and
guarantee that they will understand - let alone act on - the message if
they do receive it)?

If a machine has no network connectivity (or at least, can't connect to
the archives to update the package lists), it (and the administrator, if
any) won't receive any notifications or updates.

What notification method is appropriate for a server? By definition, a
server is installed without a GUI, so there is no notification icon on
the panel for anybody to see. You can't send an email from Canonical to
the administrator, because there is no registration of server admin
email addresses as part of the install (and they can't be automatically
subscribed to the ubuntu-announce mailing list). The cron update
process *could* send an email to root, or to the initial user, but there
is no guarantee that that mailbox will be read on a regular basis.

The only mechanisms I can think of are:
* update the package that contains /etc/motd, /etc/issue etc, to put a
message in those files advising of the impending EOL, and advising
of options to deal with the problem (this may include updates to the
*dm packages for the graphical login pages)
* update ubuntu-minimal (or another meta-package installed on all
flavours of Ubuntu), to add a dependency on a new package
(release-eol, or similar) which updates all the messages files,
including the login page used by gdm, kdm, etc. (I can see that
this may be difficult, because dpkg doesn't like a file that is
included in two packages)
* having a warning message in the login banners about the official EOL
date, from the initial release. The obvious danger of this is that
of desensitisation - the person who needs to see the message the day
that the release goes EOL will ignore it because he/she has seen it
every day for 18 months

The updated package mechanism won't help for the case of the server in
the corner that nobody logs in to, or the stand-alone machine with no
network connectivity, but should help for the situation which prompted
this discussion in the first place

Tim <timfrost@xtra.co.nz>

Old 12-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Steve Langasek

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 09:47:53PM +1300, Tim wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 21:11 +0100, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> > Nevertheless, it would be a great thing if Ubuntu maintainers had a way
> > of informing admins of installed systems about important stuff like
> > EOL'ing of the release or similar.

> > Notifications or other well-integrated methods are a better choice I
> > guess.

> How are you going to get the notification to *all* the right people (and
> guarantee that they will understand - let alone act on - the message if
> they do receive it)?

So for the record, we do have a channel that we use to communicate lifecycle
status of our releases to users, and which we encourage users to subscribe
to:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2008-September/000113.html

We also send these mails to ubuntu-security-announce:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2008-September/000755.html

This is documented as part of <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EndOfLifeProcess>.

Adding more messaging channels will not, IMHO, substantially improve our
ability to reach end users with this information; we should instead make
sure we are encouraging users to make use of the ones already established
for the purpose.

> If a machine has no network connectivity (or at least, can't connect to
> the archives to update the package lists), it (and the administrator, if
> any) won't receive any notifications or updates.

That's an interesting scenario - if the machine has no network connectivity
to the Ubuntu archives, it's evidently not been getting the official
security updates, so in that case what difference does it make if the OS has
been EOLed when they haven't been taking advantage of the security support
in the first place?

> The only mechanisms I can think of are:
> * update the package that contains /etc/motd, /etc/issue etc, to put a
> message in those files advising of the impending EOL, and advising
> of options to deal with the problem (this may include updates to the
> *dm packages for the graphical login pages)

FWIW, there has already been discussion of doing something like this with
/etc/motd for jaunty. Actually, the discussion centered around including
notifications of available package updates, but if EOL information is
available then we might as well include that too.

Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org