Old 12-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Martin Pitt

Default Call for testing: GNOME/KDE related power consumption tweaks

Hello everyone,

I was asked to identify possible tweaks in GNOME/KDE to reduce power
consumption. "sudo powertop" in the powertop package is a wonderful
tool to identify the worst offenders and also do some kernel related
tweaks (enable USB autosuspend, reduce WLAN power).

However, on my system powertop does not offer anything GNOME related,
besides tentatively killing gnome-power-manager, because "some
versions might need more power than they save". This is not true for
our version, I believe, and it does not help on my system. I also
don't have/use GNOME programs which cause a relevant, or even
excessive, number of wake-ups.

However, before scratching this off, I'd like to ask all of you for
more input. Please run powertop for a bit and tell us whether there is
anything we could improve in GNOME or KDE by default.

Thank you!

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Old 12-15-2008, 04:19 PM
"Lydia Pintscher"

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 4:30 PM, Harald Sitter <sitter.harald@gmail.com> wrote:
> Very good idea.
>
> In intrepid phonon-xine had a bit of wakeup troubles, that is fixed in
> jaunty (phonon >= 4.2.80) though.
>
> It is however interesting that Amarok 2 appears to cause twice as many
> wakeups as KWin ;-) Maybe Lydia knows why.

I have a few suspicions but don't know anything specific yet. I'll ask
someone to have a look at it.
As we havn't put much effort into optimisation yet this is to be
expected of course. If you find such things please let me know so we
can check them.

Cheers
Lydia

--