Old 12-14-2008, 04:59 AM
"Justin Dugger"

Default do you use evolution imap sync? please test a performance bugfix...

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 11:32 PM, Robert Collins
<robert.collins@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I found imap syncing almost impossible during UDS - turns out there was
> a regression from hardy (not that hardy was stellar ). I've put a
> proposed fix in my ppa https://edge.launchpad.net/~lifeless/+archive,
> and would appreciate other folk giving it a spin - I don't want to
> advocate a fix that makes it slower for other folk, for instance .
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution-data-server/+bug/307824
>
> I'm running this myself and find it a massive improvement.
>
> Cheers,
> Rob

I don't use evolution or IMAP at home, but I've heard that there is
forthcoming work on evolution-mapi that may be excellent for work.
Exchange 2007 does not appear to work with Evolution and thus my
coworker keeps a windows VM around for that. I'd love to know if
there's any blueprints on getting this into shape for jaunty.

Justin Dugger

Old 12-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort

Hello,

Old 12-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Robert Collins

On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 13:50 +0100, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Robert Collins wrote:
> > I found imap syncing almost impossible during UDS - turns out there was
> > a regression from hardy (not that hardy was stellar ). I've put a
> > proposed fix in my ppa https://edge.launchpad.net/~lifeless/+archive,
> > and would appreciate other folk giving it a spin - I don't want to
> > advocate a fix that makes it slower for other folk, for instance .
> >
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution-data-server/+bug/307824
> >
> > I'm running this myself and find it a massive improvement.
>
> From http://mail.gnome.org/archives/ftp-release-list/2008-December/msg00017.html
>
> #558883: Evolution 2.24 is terribly slow with large IMAP folders (Milan Crha)
> (Srinivasa Ragavan)
>
> Perhaps that solves your issues.

Totally different bug: that bug is about sqlite performance in the
folder summary, not about the performance of doing offline syncs.

-Rob

Old 12-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Ted Gould

On Sun, 2008-12-14 at 16:32 +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> I found imap syncing almost impossible during UDS - turns out there was
> a regression from hardy (not that hardy was stellar ). I've put a
> proposed fix in my ppa https://edge.launchpad.net/~lifeless/+archive,
> and would appreciate other folk giving it a spin - I don't want to
> advocate a fix that makes it slower for other folk, for instance .
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution-data-server/+bug/307824
>
> I'm running this myself and find it a massive improvement.

+1 Helps a 1000%. For those who don't know, before the hard drive would
work in short bursts never really getting things done. Now, the first
time I got a constant churn to get everything offline, but then
subsequent ones worked as expected. Thanks Robert!

--Ted