Old 12-03-2008, 03:24 AM
"Dustin Kirkland"

Default feisty still in the archive?

I just noticed that the filesystem serving my local mirror of the
Ubuntu archive is full. In looking for a little more disk space, I
see that the feisty deb's are still in the archive. Out of curiosity,
are these to be removed soon?

--
:-Dustin

Old 12-03-2008, 01:48 PM
Martin Pitt

Dustin Kirkland [2008-12-02 22:24 -0600]:
> I just noticed that the filesystem serving my local mirror of the
> Ubuntu archive is full. In looking for a little more disk space, I
> see that the feisty deb's are still in the archive. Out of curiosity,
> are these to be removed soon?

I can only recommend to use debmirror and only pull particular
releases and architectures, instead of sucking down the entire thing.

Martin
--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Old 12-03-2008, 02:46 PM
"DULMANDAKH Sukhbaatar"

> I can only recommend to use debmirror and only pull particular
> releases and architectures, instead of sucking down the entire thing.

how about official mirrors? we need to support all architectures, but
not supported release is still exists. it's getting taught.

--
Regards
Dulmandakh

Old 12-06-2008, 04:23 AM
Sebastian Kapfer

Am Mittwoch, den 03.12.2008, 23:46 +0800 schrieb DULMANDAKH Sukhbaatar:
> > I can only recommend to use debmirror and only pull particular
> > releases and architectures, instead of sucking down the entire thing.
>
> how about official mirrors? we need to support all architectures, but
> not supported release is still exists. it's getting taught.

Hi,

so feisty has now disappeared from the mirrors I gather. I know it's
been out of support, but pulling the plug in this way is not nice to
users. This is not the kind of operational stability that I had
expected from a major distribution. I know that you can't actively
support the whole backlog of releases indefinitely, but just breaking
the archive is a little harsh. </rant>

--
Best Regards, | Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
Sebastian | your ~/.signature to help me spread!

Old 12-07-2008, 06:16 PM
Thilo Six

Sebastian Kapfer wrote the following on 06.12.2008 06:23

> Am Mittwoch, den 03.12.2008, 23:46 +0800 schrieb DULMANDAKH Sukhbaatar:
>>> I can only recommend to use debmirror and only pull particular
>>> releases and architectures, instead of sucking down the entire thing.
>> how about official mirrors? we need to support all architectures, but
>> not supported release is still exists. it's getting taught.
>
> Hi,
>
> so feisty has now disappeared from the mirrors I gather. I know it's
> been out of support, but pulling the plug in this way is not nice to
> users. This is not the kind of operational stability that I had
> expected from a major distribution. I know that you can't actively
> support the whole backlog of releases indefinitely, but just breaking
> the archive is a little harsh. </rant>

http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/

Is it that's what you are looking for?
--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09

Old 12-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Brian Murray

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 04:23:10PM +1100, Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 03.12.2008, 23:46 +0800 schrieb DULMANDAKH Sukhbaatar:
> > > I can only recommend to use debmirror and only pull particular
> > > releases and architectures, instead of sucking down the entire thing.
> >
> > how about official mirrors? we need to support all architectures, but
> > not supported release is still exists. it's getting taught.
>
> Hi,
>
> so feisty has now disappeared from the mirrors I gather. I know it's
> been out of support, but pulling the plug in this way is not nice to
> users. This is not the kind of operational stability that I had
> expected from a major distribution. I know that you can't actively
> support the whole backlog of releases indefinitely, but just breaking
> the archive is a little harsh. </rant>

I believe Feisty and previous releases can still be found at:

Brian Murray @ubuntu.com

Old 12-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort

Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 03.12.2008, 23:46 +0800 schrieb DULMANDAKH Sukhbaatar:
>>> I can only recommend to use debmirror and only pull particular
>>> releases and architectures, instead of sucking down the entire thing.
>> how about official mirrors? we need to support all architectures, but
>> not supported release is still exists. it's getting taught.
>
> Hi,
>
> so feisty has now disappeared from the mirrors I gather. I know it's
> been out of support, but pulling the plug in this way is not nice to
> users. This is not the kind of operational stability that I had
> expected from a major distribution. I know that you can't actively
> support the whole backlog of releases indefinitely, but just breaking
> the archive is a little harsh. </rant>

Feisty is EOL. You're risking your system by using a release which isn't
supported with security updates anymore. I can't see what's wrong with this
action. You wouldn't have been getting updates anyway...

Cheers,
Emilio

Old 12-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Scott Ritchie

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Sebastian Kapfer wrote:
>>> how about official mirrors? we need to support all architectures, but
>>> not supported release is still exists. it's getting taught.
>> Hi,
>>
>> so feisty has now disappeared from the mirrors I gather. I know it's
>> been out of support, but pulling the plug in this way is not nice to
>> users. This is not the kind of operational stability that I had
>> expected from a major distribution. I know that you can't actively
>> support the whole backlog of releases indefinitely, but just breaking
>> the archive is a little harsh. </rant>
>
> Feisty is EOL. You're risking your system by using a release which isn't
> supported with security updates anymore. I can't see what's wrong with this
> action. You wouldn't have been getting updates anyway...

Perhaps we should at least keep updates to the update-manager package so
people can upgrade out of the mess they're in...

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie

Old 12-08-2008, 04:31 AM
Sebastian Kapfer

Am Sonntag, den 07.12.2008, 21:33 +0100 schrieb Emilio Pozuelo Monfort:

> Feisty is EOL. You're risking your system by using a release which isn't
> supported with security updates anymore. I can't see what's wrong with this
> action. You wouldn't have been getting updates anyway...

I'm sorry, I probably haven't explained myself properly.

The point is that systems running feisty now have to be upgraded
_right_now_ or you can't even install a single package anymore (because
the archive has been removed). I'm not complaining about the security
support going away, I understand the reason for that. Instead, it's
about deleting a bunch of files which could have been left in place at
no additional effort besides disk space.

The point being, there _are_ systems which aren't exposed to the latest
internet madness all the time and can reasonably operate without
security updates for a certain time, and can be upgraded when
convenient. Especially since upgrading a given installation of a
machine is not usually a matter of putting in the latest Ubuntu CD and
clicking on "update". This is the case with plain Ubuntu packages, and
given any third-party software, the situation is a lot worse.
Sometimes, there's a lot of customization and testing involved.

When a "traditional" software vendor phases out a product, you can still
install it from your install media (yes, this is starting to become a
rare case). In Ubuntu's case, the install media is the archive.
Obviously, now I have to wget a copy of the gutsy package pool really
soon now.

So again, this is not about security support, which obviously Ubuntu
cannot provide indefinitely. (Besides, the feisty /security/ archive is
still there.) It's about breaking a kind of support/stability that
could have been retained at no manpower cost.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:35 AM
Sebastian Kapfer

Am Sonntag, den 07.12.2008, 11:39 -0800 schrieb Brian Murray:

> I believe Feisty and previous releases can still be found at:
>
> http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/

Thank you Brian, I didn't know that.