Old 11-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Alban Deniz

Default pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy thinks libmilter-dev is a virtual package

Hello,

I'm packaging for Ubuntu an application I'm developing, and I've
encountered a problem I wasn't able find a solution in the docs.

I'm getting error when attempting to create a binary package using
pbuilder (entire output is below):

pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy: Depends: libmilter-dev which is
a virtual package.
Depends: libmilter1 which is a
virtual package.

However, neither libmilter-dev nor libmilter1 are listed as virtual
packages, according to 'aptitude search libmilter-dev libmilter1'.

I'd like to know how to solve this (either a solution or a reference
would be great). I wasn't able to find this issue mentioned on any of
the packaging manuals or searches. Also, if this isn't the appropriate
list, I apologize (and please let me know of a more appropriate list).

I'm using debhelper (single binary package).

Contents of control:

Source: snfmilter
Section: unknown
Maintainer: Alban Deniz <snfmilter@microneil.com>
Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5), autotools-dev, libmilter1,
libmilter-dev, wget, gzip
Standards-Version: 3.7.2

Package: snfmilter
Architecture: any
Depends: ${shlibsepends}, ${miscepends}
Recommends: sendmail, postfix
SNFMilter is a milter that interfaces with an MTA (such as postfix or
sendmail) to tag any email message that looks like spam. The criteria
for judging a message to be spam includes the message content and also
the originating IP address.

Built source package with 'debuild -S -rfakeroot'

Attempted to build binary package with 'pbuilder --build ../*.dsc'

Full output of pbuilder:

root@orkey:/home/adeniz/microNeil/SNFMilter-debhelper/snfmilter-0.0.9#
pbuilder --build ../*.dsc
W: /root/.pbuilderrc does not exist
I: using fakeroot in build.
Current time: Sat Nov 22 09:17:36 EST 2008
pbuilder-time-stamp: 1227363456
Building the build Environment
-> extracting base tarball [/var/cache/pbuilder/base.tgz]
-> creating local configuration
-> copying local configuration
-> mounting /proc filesystem
-> mounting /dev/pts filesystem
-> policy-rc.d already exists
Obtaining the cached apt archive contents
Installing the build-deps
-> Attempting to satisfy build-dependencies
-> Creating pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy package
Package: pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy
Version: 0.invalid.0
Architecture: i386
Maintainer: Debian Pbuilder Team
<pbuilder-maint@lists.alioth.debian.org>
created by pbuilder
This package was created automatically by pbuilder and should
Depends: autotools-dev, debhelper (>= 5), gzip, libmilter-dev,
libmilter1, wget
dpkg-deb: building package `pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy' in
`/tmp/satisfydepends-aptitude/pbu
ilder-satisfydepends-dummy.deb'.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
aptitude is already the newest version.
Selecting previously deselected package pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy.
(Reading database ... 12190 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy
(from .../pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy:
pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy depends on autotools-dev; however:
Package autotools-dev is not installed.
pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy depends on debhelper (>= 5); however:
Package debhelper is not installed.
pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy depends on libmilter-dev; however:
Package libmilter-dev is not installed.
pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy depends on libmilter1; however:
Package libmilter1 is not installed.
pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy depends on wget; however:
Package wget is not installed.
dpkg: error processing pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy (--install):
pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
Building tag database... Done
The following packages are BROKEN:
pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
autotools-dev debhelper file gettext html2text intltool-debian
libmagic1 po-debconf wget
autotools-dev debhelper file gettext html2text intltool-debian
libmagic1 po-debconf wget
0 packages upgraded, 9 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/3517kB of archives. After unpacking 14.1MB will be used.
pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy: Depends: libmilter-dev which is a
virtual package.
Depends: libmilter1 which is a virtual
package.
Resolving dependencies...

Remove the following packages:
pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy

Score is -9850

The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
file libmagic1
The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy
file libmagic1
The following packages will be REMOVED:
pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/373kB of archives. After unpacking 1950kB will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done
(Reading database ... 12190 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy ...
Selecting previously deselected package libmagic1.
(Reading database ... 12190 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libmagic1 (from .../libmagic1_4.21-3_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package file.
Unpacking file (from .../archives/file_4.21-3_i386.deb) ...
Setting up libmagic1 (4.21-3) ...

Setting up file (4.21-3) ...
Processing triggers for libc6 ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
Building tag database... Done
Aptitude couldn't satisfy the build dependencies
E: pbuilder-satisfydepends failed.
Copying back the cached apt archive contents
-> unmounting dev/pts filesystem
-> unmounting proc filesystem
-> cleaning the build env
-> removing directory /var/cache/pbuilder/build//12885 and its
subdirectories
root@orkey:/home/adeniz/microNeil/SNFMilter-debhelper/snfmilter-0.0.9#

Thanks,
Alban

Old 11-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Scott Kitterman

On Saturday 22 November 2008 09:55, Alban Deniz wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm packaging for Ubuntu an application I'm developing, and I've
> encountered a problem I wasn't able find a solution in the docs.
>
> I'm getting error when attempting to create a binary package using
> pbuilder (entire output is below):

> pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy: Depends: libmilter-dev which is
> a virtual package.
> Depends: libmilter1 which is a
> virtual package.

In Hardy, libmilter is in Universe, you probably don't have that enabled in
your pbuilder.

> Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5), autotools-dev, libmilter1,
> libmilter-dev, wget, gzip

Just build-dep on libmilter-dev. It will depend on the correct version of
libmilter.

> Recommends: sendmail, postfix

You want to make those alternative recommends. In Ubuntu Postfix is the
preferred MTA, so I'd suggest:

Recommends: postfix | sendmail

list for packaging questions. You can subscribe to that list and your posts
won't be moderated like they are on ubuntu-devel.

Scott K

Old 11-26-2008, 12:31 AM
Alban Deniz

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 12:13 -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Saturday 22 November 2008 09:55, Alban Deniz wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm packaging for Ubuntu an application I'm developing, and I've
> > encountered a problem I wasn't able find a solution in the docs.
> >
> > I'm getting error when attempting to create a binary package using
> > pbuilder (entire output is below):

> > pbuilder-satisfydepends-dummy: Depends: libmilter-dev which is
> > a virtual package.
> > Depends: libmilter1 which is a
> > virtual package.
>
> In Hardy, libmilter is in Universe, you probably don't have that enabled in
> your pbuilder.

Thanks, that solved the problem.

> > Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 5), autotools-dev, libmilter1,
> > libmilter-dev, wget, gzip
>
> Just build-dep on libmilter-dev. It will depend on the correct version of
> libmilter.

Thanks again.

> > Recommends: sendmail, postfix
>
> You want to make those alternative recommends. In Ubuntu Postfix is the
> preferred MTA, so I'd suggest:
>
> Recommends: postfix | sendmail

Okay.

> list for packaging questions. You can subscribe to that list and your posts
> won't be moderated like they are on ubuntu-devel.

I'll switch to that list, thanks.

--Alban