Old 11-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Francesco Fumanti

Default help: pythonpackage: gconf-schemas --unregister does not delete everything

Hello,

I am trying to add gconf schemas to the python package named onboard.
The package uses cdbs and python-distutils.mk. The call to gh_gconf in
debian/rules generates the corresponding gconf-schemas --register and
gconf-schemas --unregister calls in the postinst and prerm scripts.

After building the debian package in the pbuilder environment, the
installation of the bin package registers the schemas; uninstalling the
package unregisters the keys, but not completely: the keys are all
deleted, but the /apps/onboard and the /schemas/apps/onboard entries
remain listed in the gconf database (at least they continue to show up
in the gconf editor).

Could anybody please tell me what is going on or how to make also the
two remaining entries disappear?

You can have a look at the debian/rules file and at the gconf schemas
file in the following thread:

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Francesco

Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Emilio Pozuelo Monfort

Francesco Fumanti wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am trying to add gconf schemas to the python package named onboard.
> The package uses cdbs and python-distutils.mk. The call to gh_gconf in
> debian/rules generates the corresponding gconf-schemas --register and
> gconf-schemas --unregister calls in the postinst and prerm scripts.
>
> After building the debian package in the pbuilder environment, the
> installation of the bin package registers the schemas; uninstalling the
> package unregisters the keys, but not completely: the keys are all
> deleted, but the /apps/onboard and the /schemas/apps/onboard entries
> remain listed in the gconf database (at least they continue to show up
> in the gconf editor).
>

> Could anybody please tell me what is going on or how to make also the
> two remaining entries disappear?

They are probably in your home folder, so removing the package won't remove
them. If you change a key, it will be stored in your home folder, as you can't
change (and you aren't supposed to) the system-wide key.

You can look at ~/.gconf and see if they are there.

Cheers,
Emilio

Old 11-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Francesco Fumanti

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Francesco Fumanti wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> I am trying to add gconf schemas to the python package named onboard.
>> The package uses cdbs and python-distutils.mk. The call to gh_gconf in
>> debian/rules generates the corresponding gconf-schemas --register and
>> gconf-schemas --unregister calls in the postinst and prerm scripts.
>>
>> After building the debian package in the pbuilder environment, the
>> installation of the bin package registers the schemas; uninstalling the
>> package unregisters the keys, but not completely: the keys are all
>> deleted, but the /apps/onboard and the /schemas/apps/onboard entries
>> remain listed in the gconf database (at least they continue to show up
>> in the gconf editor).
>>

>> Could anybody please tell me what is going on or how to make also the
>> two remaining entries disappear?
>
> They are probably in your home folder, so removing the package won't remove
> them. If you change a key, it will be stored in your home folder, as you can't
> change (and you aren't supposed to) the system-wide key.
>
> You can look at ~/.gconf and see if they are there.

Thanks for your reply.

I checked again in ~/.gconf just and there is no onboard folder. Anyway,
as far as I understand, there cannot be an onboard entry in ~/.gconf as
the code does not use the keys yet.

I have also opened a thread in the forum where you can have a look at my
schemas file:

What is strange is that all keys are gone; I mean that all entries of
the form /schemas/apps/onboard/keyname get removed from the gconf
database; but /schemas/apps/onboard and /apps/onboard remain in the
gconf database.

Do I have to add the /schemas/apps/onboard entry to the onboard.schemas
file?

Is there a way to remove /schemas/apps/onboard and /apps/onboard by
command line from the gconf database in order to clean it?

I wonder why it does not remove everything!?

Cheers

Francesco