Old 11-22-2008, 05:09 AM
Robbie Williamson

Default Foundations Team Weekly Summary, 2008-11-21

== Activity reports ==

=== Colin Watson ===
* Fixed gfxboot-theme-ubuntu #294840.

* Helped Kyle Nitzsche (OEM) out with taking over Classmate PC work.

* Merged: memtest86+, partman-auto,
partman-auto-lvm,partman-auto-crypto, network-console,
installation-report,localechooser, and most of debian-installer

* Made powermanagement-interface build on armel, and cleared out some
old bugs in it (#45680, #149678, #182651).

* Typo fix in language-selector.

* Bits of man-db and dpkg bug triage.

* Fix gamin build failure (noticed by Matthias on armel).

* Fix palo build failure.

* Various armel-related buildability and installability fixes; also
some related archive administration work.

* Worked to get the GTK debian-installer frontend buildable in Ubuntu
(including vte packaging merge).

* Wrote archive script to check for override mismatches between
architectures; output at
http://people.ubuntu.com/~ubuntu-archive/architecture-mismatches.txt
(may well be empty when you read this, but it does work ...).

=== Evan Dandrea ===
* Short week, off on Friday, November 14th.
* oem-config work
* partman-target merge.
* Specification work: JauntyUbiquityUsability, usb-creator (still in
progress)

=== James Westby ===
==== Distributed Development ====

* Machine moved to the DMZ so that it can be exposed to the public to
serve branches. No loggerhead/playground set up
yet.
* Move meant that the firewall is currently preventing the importers
from working, so a backlog is building up. RT ticket filed requesting
the needed holes to be punched in the firewall or alternative solution
proposed.
* Discovered that my user account on the machine had a wacky locale
set. Changed to a sane one and reduced the failure count by ~1000 (exact
number not available at present due to previous point, somewhere around
500 failures remain, ~4%)
* Basic documentation written for how to use the branches, need to
incorporate Colin's feedback, and detail what is different for working
with the temporary branches.
* Spoke to Celso last week about getting the needed APIs, apparently
shouldn't be too hard, but isn't top of his priority list. Current
situation works, but isn't ideal. I can work on a solution that will
improve most cases.
* Spoke to Kubuntu team about bzr for packaging.
* Also spoke to Celso about building packages directly from bzr. This
is hard to do if we want to retain signed source packages, but not
impossible.

==== Ubuntu ====

* Sponsoring feast. >50 items sponsored in the last few days.
* UDS specs

=== Lars Wirzenius ===

* Thinking about wonderful things Cruft Remover could do in jaunty. No
coding or wiki activity yet.
* Started preparing my Ubuntu Contributing Developer application.
* Looked at the lockfile-progs merge, and prodded the previous uploader
about it (looked like an easy one).
* Verified that the buildd-built system-cleaner SRU binaries fix the
bugs the SRU is supposed to fix.

=== Luke Yelavich ===

==== Audio ====
* Audio bug triaging.
* Ongoing consideration and examination on how the alsa kernel modules
could be maintained outside the kernel in their own package, for the
several kernels Ubuntu has.
* Merged alsa-driver, alsa-lib, alsa-plugins, alsa-utils, and
pulseaudio. Jaunty will have 0.9,13 at a minimum, and hopefully one or
two releases newer than that will be available before feature freeze.

==== Dmraid ====
* Spent some time checking that the dmraid package in Debian has all
the bits I put into the ubuntu package, and fakesynced it into intrepid,
due to the newer upstream version in alioth svn not being in debian
experimental yet.
* Resume packaging work for the pieces needed for dmraid event monitoring.

==== Misc ====
* Cleared the debian-installer component merges that my name was next
to, as well as the universe merges that I care about.
* Updated some newly released gnome 2.25 accessibility packages.

=== Matthias Klose ===
* armel bootstrap
* toolchain updates
* bug triage

=== Michael Vogt ===
==== SRU ====
* update compoiz-fusion-plugins-unsupported
* SRU for the package description translations to jaunty-proposed

==== sponsoring ====
* Review/sponsor system-cleaner

==== apt ====
* fix apt pty problem with background processes (debian #463030)
* Work on updating ddtp debian import script (debian does no longer
publish the Translations tarball on ddtp.debian.net)

==== synaptic ====
* add (basic) support for screenshots.debian.net by adding a button
fetch thumbs/full screenshots
* hack a bit on screenshotMaker.py - a script that can create
screenshots automatically and unattended in xvfb

==== popularity-conetest ====
* create backup of the data (we have a lot of it)
* write code so that it can give the most popular packages that are not
part of a meta-package (in g-a-i utils/analyzePopconData.py)

==== merges ====
* Merge cron, unzip, vorbisgain, upx-ucl, tracker, smartmontools, moin,
libxslt, lockfile-progs, libgsf, lapack, aptitude, gpm,
popularity-contest, apmd, alacarte, python-gdata, xsane (and submit
changes to debian when appropriate)

==== update-manager ====
* look into libvirt and if the auto-upgrade-tester can be ported to it
easily
* setup auto-upgrade-tester for intrepid-jauny
* Fix --ssh-key to install a ssh server in ubuntu-vm-builder and push to lp
* fix sources.list inconsistencies on upgrade as discussed on ubuntu-devel
* enable interpid->jaunty upgrades in the meta-release-development file
(and test-upgrade to it)

==== misc ====
* research the various backup tools and look at the various solutions

=== Steve Langasek ===
===== Release management =====
* finish getting the archive ready for jaunty
* jaunty opening merges: emacs-goodies-el
* preparations for alpha-1

==== Packages ====
* further cleanup of PAM bugs
* pick up assigned (== t-i-l) merges for jaunty:
choose-mirror,cracklib2, djvulibre, mime-tools, wireless-tools, libpam-ldap

* aid with indoctrination of new kernel team members @ Portland sprint
* Lexington November Nexus
* Monday archive duties