-   -   tarball-in-tarball packaging (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-development/197815-tarball-tarball-packaging.html)

Emmet Hikory 11-22-2008 02:09 AM

tarball-in-tarball packaging

Fellow Developers,
I am sure that some of you like tarball-in-tarball packaging, and
that others of you dislike it. Some of you may have no special
preference I've seen discussions where strong arguments were presented
for doing it each way, and have built my own set of personal preferences
on the matter.

On this contentious topic, I'd like to ask that one thing *never* be
done in this area: if you are updating to a new upstream of a package
that is present in Debian, and not yet updated, please never alter the
previous choice of whether to use tarball-in-tarball or not. If the
package is orphaned, and you *really* want to change whether it uses
tarball-in-tarball, please contact the Debian QA team to get the update
in Debian. If there is an active maintainer, please defer to their
wishes. Not doing so makes it impossible to achieve sync within that
upstream version, and will complicate any merging process.

Please consider that those later working on a package may not share
your preference strongly enough to find working around such adjustments
an acceptable cost for having had the package in the "right" state.

Thank you.

--
Emmet HIKORY

Colin Watson 11-23-2008 11:00 AM

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 12:09:59PM +0900, Emmet Hikory wrote:
> On this contentious topic, I'd like to ask that one thing *never* be
> done in this area: if you are updating to a new upstream of a package
> that is present in Debian, and not yet updated, please never alter the
> previous choice of whether to use tarball-in-tarball or not. If the
> package is orphaned, and you *really* want to change whether it uses
> tarball-in-tarball, please contact the Debian QA team to get the update
> in Debian. If there is an active maintainer, please defer to their
> wishes. Not doing so makes it impossible to achieve sync within that
> upstream version, and will complicate any merging process.
>
> Please consider that those later working on a package may not share
> your preference strongly enough to find working around such adjustments
> an acceptable cost for having had the package in the "right" state.

Indeed, this goes for packaging systems in general. It is very rarely
appropriate, for example, to convert a package in Ubuntu to use a
different set of helper tools from what it uses in Debian. (I have seen
one or two cases where it made sense, but if you're in such a position
then you probably don't need my advice anyway!)

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]