Old 11-09-2008, 03:50 PM
"Michael Hrabanek"

Default Proposal for restricted drivers policy adjustment

I have been thinking recently about the restricted driver policy. It's
nice to get hardware directly not supported by kernel to work at least
by using non-free drivers, but on the other side this could be
two-edged and lead to ignorance from hw manufacturer because of
weakening the demand for free drivers or open hardware specification.
So I believe it would be very useful to take the strenght of Ubuntu
community and send the clean message to hardware vendors that we
demand free drivers by adding for example checkbox for something like
'I agree with contacting the manufacturer of my hardware with demand
for free drivers so I won't need to mess with this in the future
again' and ask for user's name so that ubuntu community can send
perhaps once per a month an e-mail with every signed name to vendor...
Or something like that
When our voices will be loud enough we can make change and get rid of
proprietary drivers.

--
Incoming message contains no viruses because I don't use MS products.