Old 11-11-2008, 11:56 PM
Mathias Gug

Default Server Team 20081111 meeting minutes

Hi,

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online with
the irc logs here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20081111.

==== Server FAQ ====

sommer started to update questions on the ServerFaq[1] page. Questions that
need to be updated are marked.

ACTION: mathiaz to add a section about updating the ServerFAQ to the Roadmap

ACTION: kirkland to review the RAID related questions

[1]: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerFaq

==== Get rid of old libdb versions ====

Work started to get rid of old libdb version during the Hardy release cycle.
The list of packages needed a review needs to be updated in the Roadmap.

ACTION: zul to update the list of packages depending on libdb

==== Add augeas lenses ====

nxvl reported that lenses have been written during the last cycle. Upstream is
still active. The state of lenses are tracked on a wiki page[2]. He plans to
write more lenses during this release cycle.

[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuCentralizedServiceAdministrator/Augeas

==== Update ServerGuide for Jaunty ====

sommer started to gather ideas about the updates to make to the Ubuntu Server
Guide for Jaunty. All the ideas will be tracked in a specification[3].

ACTION: sommer to create a spec for the ServerGuide update in Jaunty

[3]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyServerGuide

==== Merges and init script ====

mathiaz reminded that the archive is opened and merging is the main focus of
the developers for now. kirkland added that checking if init scripts have a
status action is welcome. If not adding one would be appreciated - steps to do
so are outline on the InitScriptsStatusActions wiki page[4]. A lot of packages
have already been updated during the intrepid release cycle. More work is
needed though.

ACTION: kirkland to update the init status action wiki page

[4]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/InitScriptStatusActions

==== Ubuntu Server survey ====

nijaba reminded everyone that the Ubuntu Server survey[5] will close next
Friday, November, the 14th. So far 6777 responses have been gathered (4105
full responses, 2672 responses not completely filled out).

[5]: http://survey.ubuntu.com/

==== Agree on next meeting date and time ====

Next meeting will be on Tuesday, November 18th at 16:00 UTC in #ubuntu-
meeting.

--
Mathias Gug
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Old 11-12-2008, 06:48 AM
"Luke L"

> ==== Update ServerGuide for Jaunty ====
>
> sommer started to gather ideas about the updates to make to the Ubuntu Server
> Guide for Jaunty. All the ideas will be tracked in a specification[3].
>
> ACTION: sommer to create a spec for the ServerGuide update in Jaunty
>
> [3]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyServerGuide

I believe we should focus on improving the Intrepid guide first.
--The 8.10 guide still isn't on help.ubuntu.com
--I know for a fact that the virtualization guide could probably use
rewriting to reflect the new management tools and the "KVM Host"
tasksel option.

One thing I've offered to do is to go through the server guide and
verify that the instructions given are valid. I could do this over
some days in Christmas, perhaps.

--
Luke L.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:26 AM
"Adam Sommer"

Hello,

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 2:48 AM, Luke L <lukehasnoname@gmail.com> wrote:

> ==== Update ServerGuide for Jaunty ====

> sommer started to gather ideas about the updates to make to the Ubuntu Server

> Guide for Jaunty. All the ideas will be tracked in a specification[3].

> ACTION: sommer to create a spec for the ServerGuide update in Jaunty

> [3]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyServerGuide

I believe we should focus on improving the Intrepid guide first.

--The 8.10 guide still isn't on help.ubuntu.com

--I know for a fact that the virtualization guide could probably use

rewriting to reflect the new management tools and the "KVM Host"

tasksel option.

The Intrepid guide is in frozen so only major bugs will be fixed using the SRU process.* New content will need to be added to the Jaunty guide.* There is a bug about the 8.10 guide being on the website: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-website/+bug/291469.

I'm not sure what "new" management tools you mean that aren't covered in the current guide?* The virt-host task isn't mentioned in the guide because it wasn't available when the Installation section was updated.* The tasksel, from what I can determine from the packages listed, installs libvirt-bin, ubuntu-virt-server,* and friends.* *

*

One thing I've offered to do is to go through the server guide and

verify that the instructions given are valid. I could do this over

some days in Christmas, perhaps.

That would be awesome, please send any patches, suggestions, etc to the ubuntu-doc mailing list.
--
Party On,
Adam