FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Scott Kitterman
 
Default package removal explanation?

On Tuesday 11 November 2008 19:15, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> Can anyone point me to documentation or mailing list discussion as to
> why xmms was removed from Ubuntu universe?
> * https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xmms
>
> I mean, I know that upstream for the project is essentially dead, and
> there are tons of other alternative music players available.
>
> But xmms remains rock-solid for my use cases (streaming over http),
> and I continue to build it in my PPA for each Ubuntu release.
>
I find:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xmms/+bug/190684

But the real reason appears to be it was removed from Debian:

http://packages.qa.debian.org/x/xmms.html

We generally follow their removals. I looked and it's not on the sync
blacklist, so if it reappeared in Debian, we'd get it back too.

Scott K

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Kees Cook
 
Default package removal explanation?

Hi Dustin,

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 01:15:23AM +0100, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> Can anyone point me to documentation or mailing list discussion as to
> why xmms was removed from Ubuntu universe?
> * https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xmms
>
> I mean, I know that upstream for the project is essentially dead, and
> there are tons of other alternative music players available.

That would be the reason.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/07/msg00026.html
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=461309
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xmms/+bug/190684

> But xmms remains rock-solid for my use cases (streaming over http),
> and I continue to build it in my PPA for each Ubuntu release.

I personally use rhythmbox for streaming, but bmpx and audacious have
been seen as replacements for xmms.

Besides, who doesn't love an upstream that makes fun of distros for dropping
them: http://www.xmms.org/

(even their website is down now...
http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cache:rE9dXF_qyTsJ:www.xmms.org/+xmms&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us&client=firefox-a)

-Kees

--
Kees Cook
Ubuntu Security Team

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 
Old 11-12-2008, 01:31 AM
Bryce Harrington
 
Default package removal explanation?

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 05:10:25PM -0800, Kees Cook wrote:
> Hi Dustin,
>
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 01:15:23AM +0100, Dustin Kirkland wrote:
> > Can anyone point me to documentation or mailing list discussion as to
> > why xmms was removed from Ubuntu universe?
> > * https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xmms
> >
> > But xmms remains rock-solid for my use cases (streaming over http),
> > and I continue to build it in my PPA for each Ubuntu release.
>
> I personally use rhythmbox for streaming, but bmpx and audacious have
> been seen as replacements for xmms.

Dustin, I also loved xmms for streaming over http, and can definitely
recommend audacious as a good drop-in replacement.

Bryce

--
ubuntu-devel mailing list
ubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:05 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org