Old 11-11-2008, 11:15 PM
"Dustin Kirkland"

Default package removal explanation?

Can anyone point me to documentation or mailing list discussion as to
why xmms was removed from Ubuntu universe?
* https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xmms

I mean, I know that upstream for the project is essentially dead, and
there are tons of other alternative music players available.

But xmms remains rock-solid for my use cases (streaming over http),
and I continue to build it in my PPA for each Ubuntu release.

--
:-Dustin

Old 11-11-2008, 11:27 PM
"Christopher Halse Rogers"

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Dustin Kirkland
<dustin.kirkland@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone point me to documentation or mailing list discussion as to
> why xmms was removed from Ubuntu universe?
> * https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xmms
>
> I mean, I know that upstream for the project is essentially dead, and
> there are tons of other alternative music players available.
>
> But xmms remains rock-solid for my use cases (streaming over http),
> and I continue to build it in my PPA for each Ubuntu release.

The Debian discussion[1] is probably most informative. If I remember
correctly, we removed it in response to Debian removing it.
Highlights are: gtk-1.2, no UTF-8 support, hundreds of longstanding
bugs.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/07/msg00026.html