Old 10-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Jeff Hansen

Default Overall package list

Hello,

I am trying to find an equivalent to Gentoo's /var/lib/portage/world in
Ubuntu. So far, it doesn't appear there is anything like it in anything
but Gentoo, which is unfortunate.

Basically I want to get a list of packages installed on the system, but
*only* packages that actually affect the installation of dependent
packages. For example, Ubuntu has the ubuntu-minimal, ubuntu-standard,
and ubuntu-desktop "meta-packages" or virtual packages. All you have to
do is install one of these packages (I'll use ubuntu-minimal for the
purposes of my question), and apt will automatically figure out all of
the dependent packages to install from there.

After installing ubuntu-minimal, say I install the aptitude package. It
will install a whole bunch of dependent packages and then install
aptitude. At this point, the *only* two packages that really affect how
my system is built are ubuntu-minimal and aptitude. That's it. I want
a utility or option that will print out only these two package names. I
don't care about all of the other packages that were installed in order
to get ubuntu-minimal and aptitude installed, I just want to know that
ubuntu-minimal and aptitude are all I need to install in order to get my
system to the same exact state I'm in now.

There is some code that should get close to this with "apt-get
autoremove." It looks like this does everything required to produce
such a list, but it just figures out which packages have been orphaned,
say, if I uninstall aptitude and all of those other packages are no
longer necessary. So, instead of removing orphaned packages, I just
want to know which packages apt thinks are important to keep (i.e.
usually only ones that I have manually installed, *not* dependency
packages).

Hopefully someone on the list understands what I'm asking. I'm pretty
sure that Ubuntu does not have this feature, and maybe I'll have to
write it if it doesn't. Thanks.

-Jeff

Old 11-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Christopher James Halse Rogers

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 15:13 -0600, Jeff Hansen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to find an equivalent to Gentoo's /var/lib/portage/world in
> Ubuntu. So far, it doesn't appear there is anything like it in anything
> but Gentoo, which is unfortunate.
>
> Basically I want to get a list of packages installed on the system, but
> *only* packages that actually affect the installation of dependent
> packages. For example, Ubuntu has the ubuntu-minimal, ubuntu-standard,
> and ubuntu-desktop "meta-packages" or virtual packages. All you have to
> do is install one of these packages (I'll use ubuntu-minimal for the
> purposes of my question), and apt will automatically figure out all of
> the dependent packages to install from there.

Hm. Thanks for asking this question; it's made me dig into the aptitude
documentation a bit. Turns out that aptitude's search mechanism is
substantially richer than I thought!

I suspect that the search you want is
"""
aptitude search "?and(?installed,?not(?automatic))"
"""
to select everything that's installed and not automatically installed
(ie: installed as a dependency of an explicitly installed package).