Old 10-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Michael Vogt

Default update-notifier & non-admin users

Hi,

update-notifier runs in intrepid for non-admin users (before it used
to only start for users in the admin group). It will not display
"updates available" notification for non-admins. But it will support
the other services that update-notifier (that is nowdays a bit
misnamed) provides, most noticable the interactive upgrade hooks that
make it possible to give each user a noitfication about changes that
releate to their user profile.

We use this to on hardy->intrepid upgrades to tell each user about the
changes with the fast-user-switcher applet and provide them with a
(optional) "update-my-config" script.

I would like to ask for feedback on this update-notifier feature and
attention when testing if running it for non-admin users causes any
problems (crashes, UI issues etc).

Thanks,
Michael

Old 10-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Matthew Paul Thomas

Old 10-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Martin Pitt

Matthew Paul Thomas [2008-10-21 18:52 +0100]:
> More generally, we need to move away from the pattern of putting tiny
> icons in the panel and expecting people to click them to do something
> urgent. For example, if an updated Firefox will start malfunctioning
> unless you relaunch it, that should be an alert against the Firefox
> window with "Relaunch" and "Quit" buttons, not a tiny icon in the panel
> that opens a window containing instructions to follow.

That particular case is solved in a better way now, actually. Firefox
itself gets a yellow notification bar which tells you about the need
to restart, and a restart button. So that particular update-notifier
not should just disappear completely IMHO.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de