Old 12-05-2007, 03:43 AM
MJang

Default Kickseed, Kickstart, Preseed

Folks,

Wondering where Ubuntu is going w/r/t automated installations. I see
bits on Kickseed, but nothing in Gutsy. I see per
https://launchpad.net/kickseed/ that it was in Feisty.

Perhaps the focus is on Kickstart or Preseed?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Matt Zimmerman

On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 08:43:34PM -0800, MJang wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Wondering where Ubuntu is going w/r/t automated installations. I see
> bits on Kickseed, but nothing in Gutsy. I see per
> https://launchpad.net/kickseed/ that it was in Feisty.
>
> Perhaps the focus is on Kickstart or Preseed?

Both are supported, though Kickstart/Kickseed is a simpler way to get
started and is recommended for most use cases.

--
- mdz

Old 12-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Colin Watson

On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 12:30:23PM +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 08:43:34PM -0800, MJang wrote:
> > Wondering where Ubuntu is going w/r/t automated installations. I see
> > bits on Kickseed, but nothing in Gutsy. I see per
> > https://launchpad.net/kickseed/ that it was in Feisty.

kickseed has been in Ubuntu since 5.04 and continues to be there. You're
being confused by Launchpad's odd display of project<->distribution
packaging links (https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/109886).

> > Perhaps the focus is on Kickstart or Preseed?
>
> Both are supported, though Kickstart/Kickseed is a simpler way to get
> started and is recommended for most use cases.

In case there is confusion, "kickseed" is simply the name of the
installer component that implements Kickstart in Ubuntu by means of
translating it into preseeding on the fly. It's not a separate automatic
installation method.

Feel free to ask specific questions about Kickstart or preseeding on
ubuntu-installer@lists.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 12-06-2007, 06:54 PM
MJang

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 12:43 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 12:30:23PM +0000, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 04, 2007 at 08:43:34PM -0800, MJang wrote:
> > > Wondering where Ubuntu is going w/r/t automated installations. I see
> > > bits on Kickseed, but nothing in Gutsy. I see per
> > > https://launchpad.net/kickseed/ that it was in Feisty.
>
> kickseed has been in Ubuntu since 5.04 and continues to be there. You're
> being confused by Launchpad's odd display of project<->distribution
> packaging links (https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/109886).com

I appreciate the clarification. The info I read led me to believe
that it was under development. If I understand correctly, the kickseed work
has been incorporated in the current Kickstart packages. Detailed questions
will be asked on the list that you cited.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 12-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Colin Watson

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 11:54:52AM -0800, MJang wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 12:43 +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> >
> > kickseed has been in Ubuntu since 5.04 and continues to be there. You're
> > being confused by Launchpad's odd display of project<->distribution
> > packaging links (https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/109886).com
>
> I appreciate the clarification. The info I read led me to believe
> that it was under development.

It's still under development, of course, in the sense that it isn't
frozen, but it's mature and ready for production use. I'd appreciate a
pointer to what you read so that I can correct it.

> If I understand correctly, the kickseed work has been incorporated in
> the current Kickstart packages.

kickseed *is* the current Kickstart package, and the only one we've ever
had (aside from system-config-kickstart, the GUI from Red Hat).

Kickstart identifies the product, if you like, and kickseed is the
technical name for the implementation.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]