Old 12-02-2007, 03:22 AM
Evan

Default Adobe Acrobat Reader Plugin

I know that Ubuntu comes with a program to read pdfs, but one of the features I miss from the full Acrobat Reader is the browser plugin that displays pdfs in the browser rather than launching them in a new window. Is there a way to achieve this in Ubuntu? If so, I'd like to nominate it for Hardy.

Evan

Old 12-02-2007, 03:41 AM
Daniel Robitaille

Evan wrote:
> I know that Ubuntu comes with a program to read pdfs, but one of the
> features I miss from the full Acrobat Reader is the browser plugin that
> displays pdfs in the browser rather than launching them in a new window.
> Is there a way to achieve this in Ubuntu? If so, I'd like to nominate it
> for Hardy.
>
> Evan

isn't that something mozplugger can do by calling evince?

But it seems it doesn't work in some cases:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mozplugger/+bug/145064

--
Daniel Robitaille

Old 12-02-2007, 03:55 AM
Evan

So theoretically, I'd want to nominate mozplugger to be included by
default in Hardy (pre-setup with evince and maybe some other if anyone
can think of them). That bug definitely needs to be fixed before that
can happen though.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:19 AM
"Conrad Knauer"

On Dec 1, 2007 10:55 PM, Evan <eapache@gmail.com> wrote:

> So theoretically, I'd want to nominate mozplugger to be included by default
> in Hardy (pre-setup with evince and maybe some other if anyone can think of
> them).

What would be nicer would be if there was a dedicated evince plugin ala:

mozilla-acroread
mozilla-openoffice.org
mozilla-mplayer
mozilla-plugin-vlc
mozilla-plugin-gnash
etc.

mozplugger seems to be more of a work-around rather than a permanent solution.

Perhaps something like this:
http://handlet.blogspot.com/2006/07/wsop-first-screen-shot-of-evince_20.html

There's also a ref to an "Evince mozilla plugin" on
http://live.gnome.org/MentoredProjects/

CK

Old 12-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Evan

Daniel, I personally find it really useful, but I can't speak for everybody. If everyone would please answer this impromptu poll:
Do you prefer online pdfs displayed in the browser (acrobat reader style) or launched in a seperate dislpay (current Ubuntu style)?
Conrad, a dedicated pdf plugin would be better (mozplugger also provides other plugins for multimedia which are redundant), but I don't know who would write it. The first link you provided is out-of-date, and the second just lists it as a possible idea.

If it looks like this is a popular idea, I'll try and contact somebody higher-up.

Evan

PS having the mozilla-openoffice.org plugin installed by default would be nice as well, assuming that people like inlined stuff like this.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Scott Abbey

Evan wrote:

> Daniel, I personally find it really useful, but I can't speak for
> everybody. If everyone would please answer this impromptu poll:
>
> - Do you prefer online pdfs displayed in the browser (acrobat reader
> style) or launched in a seperate dislpay (current Ubuntu style)?

Personally, I can't stand having anything inline (this includes video,
music, even flash, depending on its usage). Web browsers are browsing the
web. KDE is my desktop of choice, and Konqueror does this by default. It's
the first thing I disable after installing. I would do the same thing in
Gnome were that to become the default behavior.

That said, it seems to be the expected behavior for users coming from other
OSes (read: Windows), and it's simple enough for me to change (at least in
KDE), so I could go either way.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:09 PM
"Conrad Knauer"

On Dec 2, 2007 9:33 AM, Evan <eapache@gmail.com> wrote:

> Daniel, I personally find it really useful, but I can't speak for everybody.
> If everyone would please answer this impromptu poll:
>
> Do you prefer online pdfs displayed in the browser (acrobat reader style) or
> launched in a seperate dislpay (current Ubuntu style)?

I prefer them in the browser. That's the main reason I install
mozilla-acroread

An anecdote though; years ago my wife used to *hate* having them in
the browser (or having them at all)... it turned out it was because
her computer was slow and rendering them took a long time (even today
though one occasionally comes across large PDFs e.g.
http://www.saskatoon.ca/org/city_planning/resources/maps/index_nhoods_map.pdf
that render quite slowly When she upgraded, she started to realize
why some people (e.g. me think they're neat. I think that's why
there are Firefox extensions like PDF Download
(https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/636)

"PDF Download solves the problems everyone has about handling PDF
files with Firefox. This extension, every time you click on a link,
checks if the target is a pdf file and in this case let you choose
what you want to do (open pdf file inside or outside Firefox, download
it to the filesystem or view it as HTML)."

Speaking of, that reminds me of how, long ago, when I used dial-up, I
used to turn off automatic image loading in pages to make them faster
(and then just enable it as needed). Reflecting on this, it would
seem that for me at least, keeping my web browser fast was the primary
concern; I could always view documents externally at my leisure.

Which brings me to another one of your points...

> PS having the mozilla-openoffice.org plugin installed by default would be
> nice as well, assuming that people like inlined stuff like this.

While I do rather like ODF format stuff, I find that OO.o is a bit
slow on my system and so would prefer them to not render inline right
now. I think that (assuming OO.o doesn't get a lot faster any time
soon) it will just be a matter of time until I get a system that's
fast enough to make having them in the browser acceptable. Then I
will install the mozilla-openoffice.org plugin

Rather than a poll on ubuntu-devel-discuss, maybe try to find out what
the average CPU/RAM of Ubuntu users roughly is to see if installing
those packages by default makes sense...

e.g. no on my daughter's c. Y2K 500 MHz Celeron with 256 MB RAM, but
probably on my 1.8 GHz AMD with 1 GB RAM machine If they're nicely
listed as "recommends" in ubuntu-desktop (like they did with
totem-mozilla), I won't mind uninstalling them if they get in the way.

> Conrad, a dedicated
> pdf plugin would be better (mozplugger also provides other plugins for
> multimedia which are redundant), but I don't know who would write it. The
> first link you provided is out-of-date, and the second just lists it as a
> possible idea.
>
> If it looks like this is a popular idea, I'll try and contact somebody
> higher-up.

I know, I just wanted to point out that people have been thinking
about this in the past; the blog link had a screenshot of a working
plugin though; maybe try writing the person for the location of the
code?

CK

Old 12-03-2007, 09:29 AM
Vincenzo Ciancia

On 02/12/2007 Evan wrote:
> Daniel, I personally find it really useful, but I can't speak for everybody.
> If everyone would please answer this impromptu poll:
>
> - Do you prefer online pdfs displayed in the browser (acrobat reader
> style) or launched in a seperate dislpay (current Ubuntu style)?

I personally think that embedding software in browsers is not that good
idea: default shortcut mix up for example, usually leading to confusion.
Moreover, a crash in the embedded application usually results either in
the browser hanging, or in the whole flow looking "broken". Current
style seems much more on the "usability" line that gnome took up years
ago, but I might be proved wrong by a well designed pdf plugin.

Vincenzo

Old 12-05-2007, 08:45 PM
Evan

It looks like the general consensus is to leave things the way they currently are. I will pursue the creation of a mozilla-pdf plugin, but I won't ask for it to be default, just for inclusion in the repositories.

Evan