-   -   Massive Tag Removal in Launchpad (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-development/10328-massive-tag-removal-launchpad.html)

"Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT)" 12-01-2007 02:30 PM

Massive Tag Removal in Launchpad

Hi,

If you look on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ and expand the
"Tags" side-panel you'll see that there's an enormous amount of
defined tags, 1.736, to be exactly (see below for some more
statistics).

A lot of those tags were only used one or two times (1.152 are
currently only being used by one or less open bugs, and the number of
closed bugs for most of those isn't much higher), and are totally
pointless ("1.4.16"? Wtf is that?; "adept", "alacarte": shouldn't it
be assigned to the corresponding package?; "alt+f2": Uh??).

So in order to get ride of all this crap and make the tag list a bit
more overviewable (like now it's mostly useless, if you don't know a
tag you won't find it there), I propose to remove all that tags that
are only used on one or less open bugs (that is a 66% of them!). I
could write a Python script that did that automatically (using
launchpadbugs).

As this would generate quite some bug mail (I have no exact number,
but it might change up to somewhat like 2000-4000 bugs) persia told me
to ask here about it.

So... What do you think? Do you agree with this (in my opinion)
necessary clean-up?

Linux User #438657. Ubuntu User #11680.

Tags Statistics:
Total number of tags: 1736
Total number of known tags used: 38 / 40
Total number of open bugs that are tagged: 12958
Total number of open bugs with a known tag: 5086
Total number of tags with no open bugs: 451
Total number of tags with only one open bug: 701
Total sum of tags with one or less open bugs: 1152
Total sum of tags with more than one open bug: 584

(To generate them yourself copy the tags from Launchpad directly into
a new text file, save the attached file, and then execute «python
taglist-stats.py <filename>»)

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort 12-01-2007 02:42 PM

Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you look on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ and expand the
> "Tags" side-panel you'll see that there's an enormous amount of
> defined tags, 1.736, to be exactly (see below for some more
> statistics).
>
> A lot of those tags were only used one or two times (1.152 are
> currently only being used by one or less open bugs, and the number of
> closed bugs for most of those isn't much higher), and are totally
> pointless ("1.4.16"? Wtf is that?; "adept", "alacarte": shouldn't it
> be assigned to the corresponding package?; "alt+f2": Uh??).
>
> So in order to get ride of all this crap and make the tag list a bit
> more overviewable (like now it's mostly useless, if you don't know a
> tag you won't find it there), I propose to remove all that tags that
> are only used on one or less open bugs (that is a 66% of them!). I
> could write a Python script that did that automatically (using
> launchpadbugs).
>
> As this would generate quite some bug mail (I have no exact number,
> but it might change up to somewhat like 2000-4000 bugs) persia told me
> to ask here about it.
>
> So... What do you think? Do you agree with this (in my opinion)
> necessary clean-up?

Hello Siegfried,

I fully agree with you here. I find the tag list completely useless ATM.

But instead of changing it from a script, why not ask (if there's agreement) the
launchpad crew to do it from the DB if possible, without generating bug mail?

Anyway if you need to generate some bug mail to achieve this, you have my +1.

Best,
Emilio

Scott Kitterman 12-02-2007 02:57 AM

Massive Tag Removal in Launchpad

On Saturday 01 December 2007 10:30, Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT)
wrote:

> So... What do you think? Do you agree with this (in my opinion)
> necessary clean-up?

I'd suggest file a bug against LP and let the LP devs handle it.

Scott K

"Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT)" 12-02-2007 09:09 AM

Massive Tag Removal in Launchpad

Thanks for your comment. I filed a bug about it here:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad/+bug/173415

Linux User #438657. Ubuntu User #11680.

- Oculta el text citat -

Marco Rodrigues 12-02-2007 10:09 AM

Massive Tag Removal in Launchpad

The correct link is:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/malone/+bug/173415

--
Marco Rodrigues

http://Marco.Tondela.org

Martin Pitt 12-02-2007 12:00 PM

Massive Tag Removal in Launchpad

Hi,

Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT) [2007-12-01 16:30 +0100]:
> If you look on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ and expand the
> "Tags" side-panel you'll see that there's an enormous amount of
> defined tags, 1.736, to be exactly (see below for some more
> statistics).

I fully agree. This is also why I have never believed in tagging, not
in LP (except for some properly annouced and well-used tags like
verification-needed, bitesize, and a few others), not with photos
(f-spot or flickr), nor anywhere else. The total lack of proper
definition makes them mostly useless IMHO.

The fact that we now have this large number of mostly useless tags
shows that the system has not worked as intended. So while I agree to
cleaning it up (thank you for the initial research!), it would
certainly make sense to introduce a policy for future tags. Like a
wiki page documenting them, getting consensus about a new tag
somewhere, limit the definition of new tags to a certain team, etc.

Thanks,

Pitti

--
Martin Pitt http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com

Siegfried-Angel 12-02-2007 12:09 PM

Massive Tag Removal in Launchpad

We've (Hobbsee, Fujitsu, Kmos and me) have been speaking about this
with Kiko and his proposal was to only show official bugs in the list
(members of ubuntu-bugcontrol or somewhat like that would be allowed
to mark tags as official), and add a page where all other tags were
displayed (in a tag cloud perhaps, but there are a lot for that). It
was also decided that the proposed clean-up is still necessary and
that the Launchpad team should have a look at it.

Cesare Tirabassi 12-02-2007 01:28 PM

Massive Tag Removal in Launchpad

Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT) [2007-12-01 16:30 +0100]:

> If you look on https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ and expand the
> "Tags" side-panel you'll see that there's an enormous amount of
> defined tags, 1.736, to be exactly (see below for some more
> statistics).

Would it makes sense to have two tags categories?

"Official" tags would only be defined by a restricted choosen set of people. I
expect these to include, as Martin said, motu-verification-needed, packaging,
bitesize, desktop etc. etc.
They would deserve a "drop down" menu of their own for quick searching.
This would leave the freedom to others to define and use tags for their own
needs (I have seen them used for instance by people to tag their own work).

Cheers,

Cesare

Martin Pitt 12-03-2007 05:51 AM

Massive Tag Removal in Launchpad

Hi,

Cesare Tirabassi [2007-12-02 15:28 +0100]:
> Would it makes sense to have two tags categories?
>
> "Official" tags would only be defined by a restricted choosen set of people. I
> expect these to include, as Martin said, motu-verification-needed, packaging,
> bitesize, desktop etc. etc.
> They would deserve a "drop down" menu of their own for quick searching.
> This would leave the freedom to others to define and use tags for their own
> needs (I have seen them used for instance by people to tag their own work).

I think that's a fine idea. So everyone can use tags at will, and some
are especially blessed. That's very little bureaucracy.

Pitti

--
Martin Pitt http://www.piware.de
Ubuntu Developer http://www.ubuntu.com
Debian Developer http://www.debian.org

"Siegfried-Angel Gevatter Pujals (RainCT)" 12-03-2007 02:29 PM

Massive Tag Removal in Launchpad

It seems my last mail hasn't arrived (I always forget to change the
sender on GMail!)... Here is it again:

We (Hobbsee, Fujitsu, Kmos and me) have been speaking about this
with Kiko and his proposal was to only show official bugs in the list
(members of ubuntu-bugcontrol or somewhat like that would be allowed
to mark tags as official), and add a page where all other tags were
displayed (in a tag cloud perhaps, but there are a lot for that). It
was also decided that the proposed clean-up is still necessary and
that the Launchpad team should have a look at it.

GNU/Linux User #438657. Ubuntu User #11680.