Old 11-28-2007, 05:50 PM
Ted Gould

Default Debian Screensaver

Hello,

Currently in gnome-screensaver we're replacing the Debian logo
screensaver with an Ubuntu Logo one. I'm thinking we should change that
so that we're just adding the Ubuntu one instead of replacing it. I
don't think it'll confuse users and it does pay tribute to Debian's
importance to Ubuntu. I think the Ubuntu logo should still be default.

--Ted

Old 11-28-2007, 06:06 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Mi, 2007-11-28 at 10:50 -0800, Ted Gould wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Currently in gnome-screensaver we're replacing the Debian logo
> screensaver with an Ubuntu Logo one. I'm thinking we should change that
> so that we're just adding the Ubuntu one instead of replacing it. I
> don't think it'll confuse users and it does pay tribute to Debian's
> importance to Ubuntu. I think the Ubuntu logo should still be default.

we never replaced anything here, the 01_ubuntu_floaters.patch just adds
an ubuntu.svg and ubuntu_theme.desktop which are selected by default.

there is the popsqureas screensaver i disabled in the gss package since
we have all the hacks in xscreensaver{-data,-data-extras,-gl,-gl-extras}

we also usually package gnome stuff ahead of debian, i think they didnt
have the floaters patch up until gutsy (i might be wrong here though)

ciao
oli

Old 11-29-2007, 04:00 AM
Matthew Paul Thomas

On Nov 29, 2007, at 8:06 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:

On Mi, 2007-11-28 at 10:50 -0800, Ted Gould wrote:

Currently in gnome-screensaver we're replacing the Debian logo
screensaver with an Ubuntu Logo one. I'm thinking we should change
that so that we're just adding the Ubuntu one instead of replacing
it. I don't think it'll confuse users and it does pay tribute to
Debian's
importance to Ubuntu. I think the Ubuntu logo should still be
default.

we never replaced anything here, the 01_ubuntu_floaters.patch just adds
an ubuntu.svg and ubuntu_theme.desktop which are selected by default.

Compare "Feisty contains a 'Debian Etch' background picture"
<http://launchpad.net/bugs/96252>, which totally confused me when I
discovered it.

I'm all in favor of paying tribute to Debian, but I think a screensaver
would be (and a background picture is) a weird and unhelpful place to
do it. Ubuntu's Web site, and to a lesser extent its help pages, can
and do perform this task much more thoroughly.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/

Old 11-29-2007, 05:38 AM
Ted Gould

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 20:06 +0100, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> On Mi, 2007-11-28 at 10:50 -0800, Ted Gould wrote:
> > Currently in gnome-screensaver we're replacing the Debian logo
> > screensaver with an Ubuntu Logo one. I'm thinking we should change
that
> > so that we're just adding the Ubuntu one instead of replacing it. I
> > don't think it'll confuse users and it does pay tribute to Debian's
> > importance to Ubuntu. I think the Ubuntu logo should still be
default.

> we never replaced anything here, the 01_ubuntu_floaters.patch just
adds
> an ubuntu.svg and ubuntu_theme.desktop which are selected by default.

Okay, sorry, I didn't understand the history there. I'll go ahead and
put the Debian screensaver in the Ubuntu package.

--Ted

Old 11-29-2007, 05:40 AM
Ted Gould

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 22:38 -0800, Ted Gould wrote:
> I'll go ahead and
> put the Debian screensaver in the Ubuntu package.

Okay, so some of the Debian folks are saying that this might create more
issues that it would fix.

I'm now in favor of the status quo

--Ted