-   -   Trying to reduce our memory and battery footprint (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/712363-trying-reduce-our-memory-battery-footprint.html)

Didier Roche 10-15-2012 07:02 AM

Trying to reduce our memory and battery footprint

Hey guys,

In the past cycles, we saw our memory need for an user session
increasing quite a lot. One of the consequence is that our battery life
on laptop diminished.
I think having a session discussing and trying to review if we can work
on the more offending daemons, disabling some plugins and so on, can
help to put her in a better position on that front.

As with install disk cleaning, some regular checkups like this one can
be interesting to process regularly, we can also discuss about how to
put some automated tests in place to ensure we tackle any regression
then on power consumption or used RAM.

Cheers,
Didier

Ted Gould 10-15-2012 07:10 PM

On Mon, 2012-10-15 at 09:02 +0200, Didier Roche wrote:
> In the past cycles, we saw our memory need for an user session
> increasing quite a lot. One of the consequence is that our battery life
> on laptop diminished.
> I think having a session discussing and trying to review if we can work
> on the more offending daemons, disabling some plugins and so on, can
> help to put her in a better position on that front.

At UDS Q we discussed getting upstart into the desktop, which I think is
critical for a lot of these. Most of them are basically file watches
and other events that upstart could do for us. I don't believe that
happened in the Q cycle, do we think that we could get upstart
underneath things with some new events in R? I'd love to see that.
Curious how we should plan sessions based on that, it seems that the
upstart sessions and these would be co-dependent.

--Ted

Sebastien Bacher 10-15-2012 07:19 PM

Trying to reduce our memory and battery footprint