Old 09-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Sebastien Bacher

Default Stop relying on GNOME fallback code for unity

Hey everybody,

One topic for UDS, since GNOME is talking about dropping their code for
fallback to just use gnome-shell, we should make sure we stop relying on
that (it would also be good to stop relying on not so maintained code)

Things I can see in that category:
- turn the "bluetooth indicator" (patch over fallback-session code from
upstream) to a proper indicator
- turn the "keyboard indicator" (the code we patch is going away in
GNOME 3.6) to a proper indicator

- deal with disk mounting in unity (we use the GNOME fallback-session code)

(It would be good to have design input on the indicator before we start
if we are going to do that, if we rewrite them we can as well do it in a
way which improves the design)

There are probably others things in that category but those are the main
ones I can think about

Sebastien Bacher

Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 AM
Bryce Harrington

-1

Old 10-12-2012, 11:31 PM
Jeremy Bicha

On 28 September 2012 03:49, Sebastien Bacher <seb128@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> One topic for UDS, since GNOME is talking about dropping their code for
> fallback to just use gnome-shell, we should make sure we stop relying on
> that (it would also be good to stop relying on not so maintained code)
>
> Things I can see in that category:
> - turn the "bluetooth indicator" (patch over fallback-session code from
> upstream) to a proper indicator
> - turn the "keyboard indicator" (the code we patch is going away in GNOME
> 3.6) to a proper indicator
> - deal with disk mounting in unity (we use the GNOME fallback-session code)
>
> (It would be good to have design input on the indicator before we start if
> we are going to do that, if we rewrite them we can as well do it in a way
> which improves the design)

Hi, this topic was discussed in Boston a few days ago. While a final
decision hasn't been made, it does indeed sound like GNOME would like
to kill the "fallback" session in 3.8 or 3.10. The GNOME developers
may officially support a set of GNOME Shell extensions that bring back
some of the GNOME2 feel (applications menu, places menu, alternative
tab, etc.).

Part of "killing" means that they plan to drop a lot of support code
and change the remaining code to improve performance and reduce the
maintenance burden. I expressed my concerns about how this would
affect Unity and requested that they come up with a list of proposed
changes by UDS at the end of this month. You can see specific examples
by looking at the blocker bugs for https://bugzilla.gnome.org/682858 .

I'm also worried that the list will be too long and the Ubuntu Desktop
Team will decide to stick with
gnome-control-center/gnome-settings-daemon 3.6 so that the work can be
stretched out over two cycles. That may very well mean we would be
stuck with GNOME Shell 3.6 too. I think this is a strong motivator to
look into splitting off the Ubuntu control-center/settings-daemon
early this cycle.

Jeremy

Old 10-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Sebastien Bacher