-   -   What do we do with the file manager? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/692222-what-do-we-do-file-manager.html)

Xavier Guillot 08-09-2012 12:32 PM

What do we do with the file manager?

Hello,

The missing (and removed, not just hidden) features in the new
Nautilus that Ubuntu has imho to "patch" :

- Extra Pane Mode (F3)

- Status bar : for me it is absolutely necessary and useful to know
in just one second number of elements in a folder and free space
available, without having to do "Properties" on context menu. And
the free space is no more visible on the floating bar.

- Tree view : I use it a lot, as I have a very hierarchical
organization of folders, with many sub-folders. And I need to see
the tree to move files to another folder with drag and drop
directly.

- Some icons (Up, address bar location...).

- Global menu : problem with HUD, global user experience (all
applications have the menu in the top left), bookmarks no more
available here : as I put sometimes tree view, I also need a very
quick access to bookmarks. I do not use the defaults "Images",
"Documents"... places as I organize my files by activity (Personal,
Work, Friends...), not by type, so I've a lot of bookmarks which
need quick and common access.

- I also discovered another necessary missing detail : dev' removed
the hour in the date, both in the list view and in the window which
opens when I copy files, in case of 2 documents have the same name
!!!

Now if the 2 documents have been saved on the same day but not the
same hour, I do not know which is the more recent, which I should
keep or replace.

I do lots of copy between computers (with USB), folders, I don't use
the cloud and synchronization for everywhere, just for backups, now
I'm not able anymore to do simple file copies... It's perhaps not
the "good" way to use computer, but it's mine. And there is no a
"make code simple" reason for this...

I didn't find, for the moment, the possibility, on the config files
or so (dconf), to add back the hour (hh:mm) in date :(

I understand the aim of Gnome developers to have clean code,
easy-to-use program, but here in Quantal Nautilus is no more a full
file manager, it's a pity.

OK, way to use computer is different, with Zeitgeist and Unity Dash
/ Lenses for example in many cases a file manager is no more
essential, but in many others it's useful, and I'm accustomed to it,
like many users.

So as alternative there is Marlin (now Pantheon), but it has not all
the functions and nice look Nautilus had until last version, too.

Nemo, the Linux Mint fork ? It depends what they aim to do. For the
moment, it's Nautilus 3.4.2 with also some missing features, mainly
due to the change of name and lack of configuration. For example,
what does not work in Nemo :

- No "Compress" command for archiving with File Roller in the
context menu

- No option like nautilus-actions as open-terminal in a specific
folder

- No green or blue icon under the folder icon in Ubuntu One or
Dropbox to indicate state of synchronization

I hope Ubuntu will make a good choice on this, as a complete file
manager is still needed.

Best regards,

Xavier

On 09-08-12 13:36, Sebastien Bacher
wrote:

Nautilus 3.4 is the safest bet out there (feature and
stability wise), however it has that horrid chopped down
right sided toolbar and the back and forward on the right
and neither of those two are even remotely good looking.

It would be easy enough to tweak it, but staying on an old
unmaintained version of nautilus is not a solution going forward.

Nautilus 3.6 is pretty, however it is terrible chopped
down feature wise and doesn't fit Ubuntu and Unity at all
(super-menu and no menubar, hence no appmenu => no HUD,
light toolbar (and all other apps have dark ones).

We could probably hack around and push the popup menu content to
the HUD if that's the only issue, the problem is that it's not the
only change so far (the drop of the menu means we have no "desktop
menu" on empty desktops at the moment, they dropped compact view,
treeview sidepanel, the lack of menubar looks weird in unity, etc)

Nemo is the new kid on the block and that's pretty much
all that's known about it.

it's basically a fork of nautilus 3.4 no?

Marlin is the prettiest file manager there is out there,
however it does lack stability (and maybe a features -
MAYBE) and needs a lot*manpower.

The elementary guys worked on top of marlin for this own file
manager as well:

https://launchpad.net/pantheon-files

Sebastien Bacher

Georgi Karavasilev 08-16-2012 08:43 PM

What do we do with the file manager?

Well, this won't be build from scratch, the developer is the same guy that created the patched Nautilus 3.4, so you could say it is a Nautilus 3.4 modification or fork. What makes it different from Marlin is:A) Marlin has no search
B) Marlin sidebar is totally different
C) Marlin has no menubar (except in Unity)
D) Marlin's pathbar starts in the above the sidebar, in order to pretty the things up a - my pathbar starts immediately after the sidebar
E) The name says "Drawer"´╗┐It is also Nautilus based, so it can draw the desktop, which is something that Marlin can't do :P

Georgi Karavasilev 08-16-2012 09:04 PM

What do we do with the file manager?

Marlin does have Bookmarks. Right click on the launcher icon -> they are presented as quicklis. Also they are also on the sidebar - the first category "Personal" are the bookmarked folders (drag and drop them whatever you want there).
But yes, it is not cool that Marlin has no search :)

Efrain Valles 08-30-2012 02:39 PM

What do we do with the file manager?

Today I upgraded and have no file manager. Are changes being made now?

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Georgi Karavasilev <motorslav@gmail.com> wrote:
> Marlin does have Bookmarks. Right click on the launcher icon -> they are
> presented as quicklis. Also they are also on the sidebar - the first
> category "Personal" are the bookmarked folders (drag and drop them whatever
> you want there).
> But yes, it is not cool that Marlin has no search :)

Efrain Valles
https://launchpad.net/~effie-jayx