-   -   Gstreamer version to use in 12.10? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/686518-gstreamer-version-use-12-10-a.html)

Sebastien Bacher 07-23-2012 11:53 AM

Gstreamer version to use in 12.10?

Hey everyone,

GNOME said they would try to update their code to use gstreamer 1.0 in 3.6:
https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/PortToGstreamer1

I think there is a couple of issues there:

- GNOME doesn't give any guarantee it will be done, it might get half
done for 3.6 since it's a best effort basis and having to ship 2
gstreamer versions wouldn't be a stopper for them

- gstreamer 1.0 is not released yet (gstreamer 0.11.9x candidate
versions are available though and packaged in precise,quantal universe)

- gstreamer 1.0 is virtually untested

- if we don't want to ship 2 gstreamer stacks in quantal we will
probably have to port some of our code to the new version (ubiquity,
ubuntuone?, ...) as well as help GNOME to finish porting their softwares

- there are no fluendo codecs available yet for the new version (there
is an ongoing discussion with them on the topic)

Based on that I think we should be conservative and avoid surprise and
extra work (especially that we don't have gstreamer hackers here to deal
with issues we will find) by delaying the update to next cycle (which
probably means staying on current totem and rhythmbox)

What do others think?

--
Sebastien Bacher

Luke Yelavich 07-23-2012 11:18 PM

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 09:53:38PM EST, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> GNOME said they would try to update their code to use gstreamer 1.0 in 3.6:
> https://live.gnome.org/GnomeGoals/PortToGstreamer1
>
> I think there is a couple of issues there:
>
> - GNOME doesn't give any guarantee it will be done, it might get
> half done for 3.6 since it's a best effort basis and having to ship
> 2 gstreamer versions wouldn't be a stopper for them
>
> - gstreamer 1.0 is not released yet (gstreamer 0.11.9x candidate
> versions are available though and packaged in precise,quantal
> universe)
>
> - gstreamer 1.0 is virtually untested
>
> - if we don't want to ship 2 gstreamer stacks in quantal we will
> probably have to port some of our code to the new version (ubiquity,
> ubuntuone?, ...) as well as help GNOME to finish porting their
> softwares
>
> - there are no fluendo codecs available yet for the new version
> (there is an ongoing discussion with them on the topic)
>

> Based on that I think we should be conservative and avoid surprise
> and extra work (especially that we don't have gstreamer hackers here
> to deal with issues we will find) by delaying the update to next
> cycle (which probably means staying on current totem and rhythmbox)
>
> What do others think?

No argument from me.

Luke