-   -   System compositor progress (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/682309-system-compositor-progress.html)

Robert Ancell 07-11-2012 06:04 AM

System compositor progress

Hi,

We're now at the point where the system compositor [1] is starting to
work. Any brave souls who want to start playing with this can have a
look at the instructions in the blueprint. Obviously THIS IS HIGHLY
EXPERIMENTAL, so play at your own risk! In saying that, early feedback
is most welcome and anyone who wants to hack on this contact Chris
(RAOF) and I and we can point you at code to play with.

--Robert

[1]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-q-system-compositor

Christopher James Halse Rogers 07-11-2012 07:35 AM

On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 18:04 +1200, Robert Ancell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're now at the point where the system compositor [1] is starting to
> work. Any brave souls who want to start playing with this can have a
> look at the instructions in the blueprint. Obviously THIS IS HIGHLY
> EXPERIMENTAL, so play at your own risk! In saying that, early feedback
> is most welcome and anyone who wants to hack on this contact Chris
> (RAOF) and I and we can point you at code to play with.

The PPA linked there will not work quite yet; it's missing a build of
mesa (and then of weston & xserver). This should be soon; just as soon
as mesa actually builds :)

I'll send a follow up mail for our intrepid system-compositites when
it's all bedded down.

Christopher James Halse Rogers 07-12-2012 04:58 AM

System compositor progress

On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 18:04 +1200, Robert Ancell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're now at the point where the system compositor [1] is starting to
> work. Any brave souls who want to start playing with this can have a
> look at the instructions in the blueprint. Obviously THIS IS HIGHLY
> EXPERIMENTAL, so play at your own risk! In saying that, early feedback
> is most welcome and anyone who wants to hack on this contact Chris
> (RAOF) and I and we can point you at code to play with.

This is now ready to roll, for intel, nouveau, and radeon. Intel is most
tested, and should essentially work; nouveau and radeon are less tested.

amd64 packages of weston are still publishing: you need at least
0.89.0~system-compositor4-0~raof3.

Other than that, go to town!

Chris

"Jonas Platte" 07-12-2012 11:00 AM

System compositor progress

Am 12.07.2012, 06:58 Uhr, schrieb Christopher James Halse Rogers
We're now at the point where the system compositor [1] is starting to
work. Any brave souls who want to start playing with this can have a
look at the instructions in the blueprint. Obviously THIS IS HIGHLY
EXPERIMENTAL, so play at your own risk! In saying that, early feedback
is most welcome and anyone who wants to hack on this contact Chris
(RAOF) and I and we can point you at code to play with.

This is now ready to roll, for intel, nouveau, and radeon. Intel is most
tested, and should essentially work; nouveau and radeon are less tested.

amd64 packages of weston are still publishing: you need at least
0.89.0~system-compositor4-0~raof3.

Other than that, go to town!

Chris

I tried installing the system compositor, but lightdm doesn't start if I
have "type=weston" set under [SetDefaults]. Should I now open a bug in
lightdm or in weston?

Robert Ancell 07-12-2012 09:11 PM

On 12/07/12 23:00, Jonas Platte wrote:
> Am 12.07.2012, 06:58 Uhr, schrieb Christopher James Halse Rogers
> <raof@ubuntu.com>:
>
>> On Wed, 2012-07-11 at 18:04 +1200, Robert Ancell wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We're now at the point where the system compositor [1] is starting to
>>> work. Any brave souls who want to start playing with this can have a
>>> look at the instructions in the blueprint. Obviously THIS IS HIGHLY
>>> EXPERIMENTAL, so play at your own risk! In saying that, early feedback
>>> is most welcome and anyone who wants to hack on this contact Chris
>>> (RAOF) and I and we can point you at code to play with.
>>>

>> This is now ready to roll, for intel, nouveau, and radeon. Intel is most
>> tested, and should essentially work; nouveau and radeon are less tested.
>>
>> amd64 packages of weston are still publishing: you need at least
>> 0.89.0~system-compositor4-0~raof3.
>>
>> Other than that, go to town!
>>
>> Chris
>>
> I tried installing the system compositor, but lightdm doesn't start if
> I have "type=weston" set under [SetDefaults]. Should I now open a bug
> in lightdm or in weston?

Open bugs against LightDM with your logs from /var/log/lightdm and we
will reassign if required.

John Lenton 07-13-2012 03:49 PM

System compositor progress

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Robert Ancell
<robert.ancell@canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're now at the point where the system compositor [1] is starting to
> work. Any brave souls who want to start playing with this can have a
> look at the instructions in the blueprint. Obviously THIS IS HIGHLY
> EXPERIMENTAL, so play at your own risk! In saying that, early feedback
> is most welcome and anyone who wants to hack on this contact Chris
> (RAOF) and I and we can point you at code to play with.

should this work for people who have full-disc encryption?
(loath i am to try it if not...)

Robert Ancell 07-13-2012 11:41 PM

On 14/07/12 03:49, John Lenton wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Robert Ancell
> <robert.ancell@canonical.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We're now at the point where the system compositor [1] is starting to
>> work. Any brave souls who want to start playing with this can have a
>> look at the instructions in the blueprint. Obviously THIS IS HIGHLY
>> EXPERIMENTAL, so play at your own risk! In saying that, early feedback
>> is most welcome and anyone who wants to hack on this contact Chris
>> (RAOF) and I and we can point you at code to play with.
> should this work for people who have full-disc encryption?
> (loath i am to try it if not...)
Full disk encryption should not affect it, but it has not been
explicitly tested.