-   -   Regional/national applications (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/662158-regional-national-applications.html)

David Henningsson 05-02-2012 09:36 AM

Regional/national applications

As I understand it, several countries have "special apps", that are very
useful to that country.

As an example, for Sweden, we have BankID, which is used to log on to
several government sites, declaring taxes etc.

Other countries have other favorites which are local to that country but
still very important to have. I've heard Brazil has something similar
but different, for example.

The degree of Linux support of these are of course varying, but in the
BankID case there is a Linux version, but it could be easier to install,
if we could get it into either Ubuntu Software Center as an app, or
maybe into the partner repository. That would also bring the advantage
of automatic updates, which would be attractive to the app developer (in
the case of security related applications, even more so).

So, how do we
- Identify what applications are important for a particular country?
- Reach out to the developers of that application?
- Help them out with integrating their apps into Ubuntu?
- Get them into Ubuntu Software Center, the partner archive, or
something similar?

The LoCo teams could be a valuable resource here, I assume.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic

Malin Krosby Bruland 05-02-2012 11:25 AM

Regional/national applications

Hi, David

I have an idea of this.

When you install Ubuntu you have to select which region you live in. I
think it would be a good idea if you then got package-suggestions for
region-specific softare. An example is bank-id as is used in Norway too,
but also region-specific scopes and lenses.

--
Best regards

Malin Krosby Bruland

--