Old 03-28-2012, 01:34 AM
Jason Warner

Default Ubuntu 12.10 Call for Topics

Hi all,
This is the call for discussion about Ubuntu desktop planning for the12.10 cycle. Here's the process I'd like to use.
1. Send a call for topics from the Ubuntu desktop community (this is it)

2. Have an exchange over email on the ubuntu-desktopchannel/mailing list to discuss the requirements in depth.*
3. Produce a resulting UDS plan which summarizes the topics going

into UDS, and feeds into blueprints
4. Provide a final roadmap post-UDS
Here*is the schedule with some details.
= Today: *Request for Topics =

This email is the request for topics. Please send topics that you wouldlike the Ubuntu desktop team to consider for this cycle to the**ubuntu-desktop** mailing list [1] with "[Desktop12.10-Topic]" in the subject

line. These are not specific requirements, but high-level ideas or concepts.
Though we will want hear about all of your needs, while compilingrequirements, it may be useful to keep in mind that some requirements

are easier for us to fulfill than others, e.g.** Choice of specific versions of upstream packages or applications** Choice of specific applications to deliver by default** Getting packages into Universe or Main

** Writing modest glue code to enable new scenarios or to integratefunctionality from different packages** Moving code that you already wrote or are going to write into the distro** Integrating patches from upstream bug trackers or similar

** Enhancing projects for which we are upstream (LightDM/Unity Greeter, Upstart, Ubiquity, etc....)

= Now through April 30th - Requirements discussions held =We will discuss topics in the ubuntu-desktop irc channel and mailing

list. The goal will be to identify and document specific requirements.
= May 1st - UDS - Topics Review =The week before UDS we will present a plan. This is essentiallya review of what topics we have planned for further discussion at UDS*

in the form of approved blueprints.
= May 7th - May 11th - UDS =
= Approximately two weeks post UDS - 12.10 Plan Review =About two weeks after UDS, we will revise the UDS 12.10 Plan to

capture what was actually decided as the plan of record at UDS, andpresent that information.*
Thanks all.
-Jason
[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-desktop

Old 04-17-2012, 10:48 AM
Jason Warner

Hi Everyone -
The release is almost here, and right behind.... (dramatic pause) ... UDS!*
We haven't gotten that many replies to this, which probably means everyone is heads down getting the final bits of Precise ready to ship (always a good thing).*

Even so, we need those topics for 12.10 so when everyone gets a chance, write them up and send them to the list so 1. we can get UDS organized 2. we can discuss the topic in the ML and 3. we can start to shape 12.10 and see where we'll be going with it.*

Thanks everyone!*Jason

Old 04-18-2012, 01:55 AM
Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Jason Warner
<jason.warner@canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi Everyone -
>
> The release is almost here, and right behind.... (dramatic pause) ... UDS!
>
> We haven't gotten that many replies to this, which probably means everyone
> is heads down getting the final bits of Precise ready to ship (always a good
> thing).
>
> Even so, we need those topics for 12.10 so when everyone gets a chance,
> write them up and send them to the list so 1. we can get UDS organized 2. we
> can discuss the topic in the ML and 3. we can start to shape 12.10 and see
> where we'll be going with it.

Not just for Desktop, but I'm planning to have another "NetworkManager
health check" session, see if there are things we can take out of how
Precise went. Someone already tried to schedule a session for this,
though it's not set in stone what we'll be discussing exactly. Perhaps
making sure we support some newish wireless features can belong in
there: specifically, I mean WPS, WiFi Direct, LTE, WiMAX.

Still networking-related for the desktop, I think we should discuss
firewalls and proxy again. Is there more work to be done for a better
integration of this? How can we get it to work properly? etc.

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu-tl@ubuntu.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu.tl@gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E *FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93

Old 04-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Kevin Hunter