Old 03-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Petko

Default Shortcut keys F1,F2,F3,F4 and overall

Hey guys , I recently came to the conclusion that the *Function* keys
,that are most accessible aren't really utilized . Some (a lot of) time
ago , when I was new to computers I saw them as some kind of unusable
appendix . Since then not much has changed (regarding OS defaults ) .
Which of the function keys do you use ( out of combinations , just the
straight up most efficient press of the key) ? I used three until recently :

F2 - rename
F5 - refresh
F11 - fullscreen
(and maaybe F1 - help)

Here's the idea : the first 4 func. keys are very accessible , not used
in writing , and 2 of them have no function what so ever by themselves .
Here's a couple of suggestions from me :

F1 - clearly stays help
F2 - users have learned it's rename , so it should stay rename (though
that's probably not the best function it can have)
F3 - Minimize window - everybody does it constantly , the buttons for
minimize are little , I personally hate compound shortcuts
(alt+ctrl+shift+asdf to minimize (meaning I don't want to touch more
than one button for one of the most used actions) )
F4 - how has no one made F4 default for closing windows just boggles my
mind - why twist your hand to press alt , when F4 can't possibly have a
better use .

I'm with those settings now and it's much better than the defaults . For
F4 - of course alt+F4 should continue working alongside F4 , because
anyone new would get confused , but that doesn't mean it shouldn't get
implemented .

Second point of discussion (the "and overall" part of the thread) : I
need some response from developers: If I create a wiki page in Ubuntu
dedicated to discussing default settings (because I think there's much
room for improvement) , would its contents be taken into account . The
idea is that a whiteboard is needed to discuss this topic (there's too
many details for a mailing list in my opinion) , and I'm convinced that
the topic should have a centralized resource (so there's no repeated
discussions , and people can pick up where others left off ) .

And overall - any feedback would be appreciated , I really want to push
the development in that area a bit (default shortcuts/settings) .

Petko

PS: not a proposal for implementation , but a hint for whoever might
like it : F12 for "xset dpms force off" (turn screen off)

Old 03-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Michael Hall

Hey guys , I recently came to the conclusion that the *Function* keys
,that are most accessible aren't really utilized .

Keep in mind also that there are likely applications using these keys
for application-specific purposes. I'm of the opinion that any
system-wide shortcuts should involve a modifier key. I really like how
Unity is coalescing around the use of super, personally.

F4 - how has no one made F4 default for closing windows just boggles my
mind - why twist your hand to press alt , when F4 can't possibly have a
better use .

Because reaching too high when aiming for '4' should never close what
you're working on and potentially cause a loss of work.

Second point of discussion (the "and overall" part of the thread) : I
need some response from developers: If I create a wiki page in Ubuntu
dedicated to discussing default settings (because I think there's much
room for improvement) , would its contents be taken into account . The
idea is that a whiteboard is needed to discuss this topic (there's too
many details for a mailing list in my opinion) , and I'm convinced that
the topic should have a centralized resource (so there's no repeated
discussions , and people can pick up where others left off ) .

The wiki isn't really conducive of back and forth conversation. It can
be used to store the "work in progress" as the exact details are worked
out, but the conversation itself would be better off in the forums or
IRC. Brainstorm might also be a better place for this whole thing until
there is some agreement on it.

Michael Hall
mhall119@ubuntu.com