-   -   Fwd:Ubuntu, please don't waste time on upgrading your flashy & silly themes, desktop-effects! (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/632175-fwd-ubuntu-please-dont-waste-time-upgrading-your-flashy-silly-themes-desktop-effects.html)

Bilal Akhtar 02-13-2012 02:37 AM

Fwd:Ubuntu, please don't waste time on upgrading your flashy & silly themes, desktop-effects!

All decisions so far regarding Ubuntu's design and Unity have been
made by large groups of people, and every decision has been influenced
a lot by user testing and feedback. And yes, we've been listening to
our users. Every. Feedback. Counts. As Michael said, we ourselves are
users too.

We'd also be considering your opinions if they were constructive. Just
saying "OMG UNITY SUX IM MOVING TO <Insert a DE or distro here>.
PLEASE FIX UNITY" isn't going to help either side. We tend to ignore
such threads because of their vagueness.

Bilal Akhtar.

Life Monad 02-13-2012 03:39 AM

Fwd:Ubuntu, please don't waste time on upgrading your flashy & silly themes, desktop-effects!

Why,I did not choose Unity?I am a developer too.Desktop software design principle*(Maybe you know) *, for end users, they hope every software has similar appearance, .aka. UX..... Similar menu layout,keyshortcuts,status bar,notification area.....especially,settings panel.

Why not improve GNOME if you think it sucks?(OK..,why not improve Unity if I think it sucks...because I won't waste time on it,I think Unity have no significant for end users.They want bug fixes and *new useful features & softwares adding eagerly , not another desktop env.)

BTW:You can *image, while user works,he open a new window,...desktop *disappears.
In spare time ,I want to *develop some useful tiny programs which other platform provided but ubuntu lack of.(Wine? never *be a solution.You must know it.Forget Wine.Develop your own linux desktop software.)

But when I see Unity,I am confused. Did I need test my program on Unity? These desktop env have different API &UX. Programs can't do a good seamless*integration with desktop env(also file managers such as*Nautilus . Konqueror).

Hn...Ha... Why not *GNOME X.X?*Great Unification.

I am tired.

Life Monad 02-13-2012 08:47 AM

Fwd:Ubuntu, please don't waste time on upgrading your flashy & silly themes, desktop-effects!

Debian,Gentoo,Slackware,Ubuntu
I*
use all four, for different purpouses, of course.*You use all four??*GNOME,Unity,KDE,Xfce....XXXX
oh....different tools for different purposes*oh....my god.
Maybe that's why linux desktop market share never *greater than 10%.

All decisions so far regarding Ubuntu's design and Unity have been
made by large groups of people, and every decision has been influenced
a lot by user testing and feedback*Maybe,because linux desktop developers only have been *listening to those users who already are using linux and like it.
*Maybe...

Please keep in mind that everybody who makes Ubuntu is also an Ubuntu user, and a large portion of Ubuntu's users are also involved in making it.

Michael Hall

mhall119@ubuntu.com

You can't tell by all the backlash against Unity, at the least.

Those who REALLY like it (yours truly included) don't feel the urge to start 12567 threads about how much they like it over vanilla Gnome or Window Maker (I absolutely LOVE bot Unity and WM - again, different tools for different purpouses) :)

--

Tobia Tesan

<tobia.tesan@gmail.com>

Marvelous! *The super-user's going to boot me!

What a finely tuned response to the situation!

Life Monad 02-13-2012 09:35 AM

Fwd:Ubuntu, please don't waste time on upgrading your flashy & silly themes, desktop-effects!

In fact, I also merely use Vim/Emacs/Terminal developping in most time.These suggestions for Ubuntu desktop's development.Pitifully,so far, linux desktop users, geek & tech & programmer are the majority.

Maybe ...*Linux desktop market share still never *greater than 10% , *in the future.