Old 02-11-2012, 08:58 PM
Chase Douglas

Default CFT: ClickPad support

Hi all,

I've spent some time working on making "ClickPad" trackpads work better.
I have put the end result up at ppa:chasedouglas/clickpad. I would like
some testing feedback for the changes.

In this context, a "ClickPad" is any touchpad with buttons integrated
into the touch surface. This includes many variations of Synaptics
trackpads and all the multitouch Apple trackpads. However, not all
devices are detected as clickpads by the kernel, so you may need to
manually override the clickpad detection.

I have attached two scripts. The first enables clickpad support, and the
second enables a "right button area" in the lower right corner of the
trackpad. The 'right button area" should overlap with the right button
area painted on some ClickPads. You are free to enable or disable it as
you wish.

The scripts require the device name or id as the first argument. You can
query the device name and id by running "xinput list".

So what does this do?

* You can now perform click-and-drag with two separate fingers
* With the right button area enabled, a button press in the area will
fire a right button press instead of a left button press
* Click actions are possible, but they are an advanced feature I don't
want to support yet by detailing them here

If we get good feedback on this, then I would like to push it into
Precise. I also want to add a checkbox to the mouse settings preferences
to enable the right button area too.

Thanks for testing!

-- Chase

Old 02-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Chase Douglas

On Feb 12, 2012, at 10:42 AM, Chris Van Hoof <vanhoof@canonical.com> wrote:

> On 02/11/2012 04:58 PM, Chase Douglas wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've spent some time working on making "ClickPad" trackpads work better.
>> I have put the end result up at ppa:chasedouglas/clickpad. I would like
>> some testing feedback for the changes.
>>
>> In this context, a "ClickPad" is any touchpad with buttons integrated
>> into the touch surface. This includes many variations of Synaptics
>> trackpads and all the multitouch Apple trackpads. However, not all
>> devices are detected as clickpads by the kernel, so you may need to
>> manually override the clickpad detection.
>>
>> I have attached two scripts. The first enables clickpad support, and the
>> second enables a "right button area" in the lower right corner of the
>> trackpad. The 'right button area" should overlap with the right button
>> area painted on some ClickPads. You are free to enable or disable it as
>> you wish.
>>
>> The scripts require the device name or id as the first argument. You can
>> query the device name and id by running "xinput list".
>>
>> So what does this do?
>>
>> * You can now perform click-and-drag with two separate fingers
>> * With the right button area enabled, a button press in the area will
>> fire a right button press instead of a left button press
>> * Click actions are possible, but they are an advanced feature I don't
>> want to support yet by detailing them here
>>
>> If we get good feedback on this, then I would like to push it into
>> Precise. I also want to add a checkbox to the mouse settings preferences
>> to enable the right button area too.
>>
>> Thanks for testing!
>>
>> -- Chase
>
> Just ran through a dist-upgrade to make sure I was current, added your PPA and pulled in the new x-x-i-synaptics package.
>
> ... enabled both scripts with my magic trackpad and did a bit of testing with the program I have been wanting this support for since I purchased it, Thunderbird
>
> Everything is working flawlessly, lower right gives me right click, and I can easily move items around now after a click and hold.
>
> I'll keep testing things out and will report any oddities if I run across any.
>
> Would you prefer I give you a ping or file a bug if anything comes up?

Replying to this thread would be best. That way everyone can see any potential issues when a decision is made on pushing to precise. The changes are not trivial, so all feedback is helpful.

Thanks!

-- Chase

Old 02-13-2012, 09:56 PM
Kristian Kißling

Chase Douglas schrieb folgendes am 12.02.2012 19:56:
> On Feb 12, 2012, at 10:42 AM, Chris Van Hoof <vanhoof@canonical.com> wrote:

Hey Chase,

thanks a lot, thats a good thing! This morning I thought it should be
easier to work with Ubuntu when you forget your external mouse

Your scripts work, but there are some glitches. Context menus only show
up if I touch specific points in the upper area of the "right button
area". If I use the lower area, nothing happens, but I guess you know
that already. If you need more feedback and data, drop me a line.

br
Kristian

--

Kristian Kißling, Editor in chief, Ubuntu User (www.ubuntu-user.de)
Linux New Media AG, Putzbrunner Straße 71, 81739 München, Germany

Linux New Media - The Pulse of Open Source
Malaga - Manchester - München - Sao Paulo - Warszawa
http://www.linuxnewmedia.de

Old 02-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Chase Douglas

On 02/13/2012 11:56 PM, Kristian Kißling wrote:
> Chase Douglas schrieb folgendes am 12.02.2012 19:56:
>> On Feb 12, 2012, at 10:42 AM, Chris Van Hoof <vanhoof@canonical.com> wrote:
>>
> Hey Chase,
>
> thanks a lot, thats a good thing! This morning I thought it should be
> easier to work with Ubuntu when you forget your external mouse
>
> Your scripts work, but there are some glitches. Context menus only show
> up if I touch specific points in the upper area of the "right button
> area". If I use the lower area, nothing happens, but I guess you know
> that already. If you need more feedback and data, drop me a line.

How big (in height % of overall touchpad) is the lower area where right
click doesn't work? Some of these trackpads produce locations outside of
the reported max and min values. I wonder if where you are clicking is
above the maximum in the Y direction (Y coordinates are from top to bottom).

Is that the only glitch you see?

-- Chase

Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 PM
Bryce Harrington

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 01:58:11PM -0800, Chase Douglas wrote:
> I've spent some time working on making "ClickPad" trackpads work better.
> I have put the end result up at ppa:chasedouglas/clickpad. I would like
> some testing feedback for the changes.
>
> In this context, a "ClickPad" is any touchpad with buttons integrated
> into the touch surface. This includes many variations of Synaptics
> trackpads and all the multitouch Apple trackpads. However, not all
> devices are detected as clickpads by the kernel, so you may need to
> manually override the clickpad detection.
>
> I have attached two scripts. The first enables clickpad support, and the
> second enables a "right button area" in the lower right corner of the
> trackpad. The 'right button area" should overlap with the right button
> area painted on some ClickPads. You are free to enable or disable it as
> you wish.
>
> The scripts require the device name or id as the first argument. You can
> query the device name and id by running "xinput list".
>
> So what does this do?
>
> * You can now perform click-and-drag with two separate fingers
> * With the right button area enabled, a button press in the area will
> fire a right button press instead of a left button press
> * Click actions are possible, but they are an advanced feature I don't
> want to support yet by detailing them here
>
> If we get good feedback on this, then I would like to push it into
> Precise. I also want to add a checkbox to the mouse settings preferences
> to enable the right button area too.
>
> Thanks for testing!
>
> -- Chase

Tested on my dell mini netbook.

Doubletap on the right button area functions as a right click. It seems
to work as I'd expect. Single-tap on the main pad area appears to work
as single left click (and double-tap here works as double left click).
Single-tap on the left button area doesn't appear to do anything.

Mouse movement does not work if two fingers are touching the pad.
Depressing the left button with one finger and moving the second will
initiate a drag action but the mouse pointer does not move; IOW drag and
drop is broken. I could not get click-and-drag with two separate
fingers to function.

HTH,
Bryce

Old 02-16-2012, 06:55 AM
Chase Douglas

On 02/13/2012 03:12 PM, Chase Douglas wrote:
> On 02/13/2012 11:56 PM, Kristian Kißling wrote:
>> Chase Douglas schrieb folgendes am 12.02.2012 19:56:
>>> On Feb 12, 2012, at 10:42 AM, Chris Van Hoof <vanhoof@canonical.com> wrote:
>>>
>> Hey Chase,
>>
>> thanks a lot, thats a good thing! This morning I thought it should be
>> easier to work with Ubuntu when you forget your external mouse
>>
>> Your scripts work, but there are some glitches. Context menus only show
>> up if I touch specific points in the upper area of the "right button
>> area". If I use the lower area, nothing happens, but I guess you know
>> that already. If you need more feedback and data, drop me a line.
>
> How big (in height % of overall touchpad) is the lower area where right
> click doesn't work? Some of these trackpads produce locations outside of
> the reported max and min values. I wonder if where you are clicking is
> above the maximum in the Y direction (Y coordinates are from top to bottom).

I posted a new version of the enable-rightbutton.sh script to
people.canonical.com yesterday. It sets the bottom edge of the right
button area twice as far as the maximum value. This should catch all
touches, even those beyond the reported range of the device.

Thanks,

-- Chase

Old 02-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Kristian Kißling

Chase Douglas schrieb folgendes am 16.02.2012 08:55:
> On 02/13/2012 03:12 PM, Chase Douglas wrote:
>>>>
>>> Hey Chase,
>>>
>>> thanks a lot, thats a good thing! This morning I thought it should be
>>> easier to work with Ubuntu when you forget your external mouse
>>>
>>> Your scripts work, but there are some glitches. Context menus only show
>>> up if I touch specific points in the upper area of the "right button
>>> area". If I use the lower area, nothing happens, but I guess you know
>>> that already. If you need more feedback and data, drop me a line.
>>
>> How big (in height % of overall touchpad) is the lower area where right
>> click doesn't work? Some of these trackpads produce locations outside of
>> the reported max and min values. I wonder if where you are clicking is
>> above the maximum in the Y direction (Y coordinates are from top to bottom).
>
> I posted a new version of the enable-rightbutton.sh script to
> people.canonical.com yesterday. It sets the bottom edge of the right
> button area twice as far as the maximum value. This should catch all
> touches, even those beyond the reported range of the device.

Great, now it works everywhere in the right field! Btw: If I tap on the
right field, nothing happens - I have to click. But I assume thats the
expected behaviour.

br
Kristian

Old 02-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Chase Douglas

On Feb 16, 2012, at 3:23 PM, Kristian Kißling <kkissling@linuxnewmedia.de> wrote:

> Chase Douglas schrieb folgendes am 16.02.2012 08:55:

>>> How big (in height % of overall touchpad) is the lower area where right
>>> click doesn't work? Some of these trackpads produce locations outside of
>>> the reported max and min values. I wonder if where you are clicking is
>>> above the maximum in the Y direction (Y coordinates are from top to bottom).
>>
>> I posted a new version of the enable-rightbutton.sh script to
>> people.canonical.com yesterday. It sets the bottom edge of the right
>> button area twice as far as the maximum value. This should catch all
>> touches, even those beyond the reported range of the device.
>>
> Great, now it works everywhere in the right field! Btw: If I tap on the
> right field, nothing happens - I have to click. But I assume thats the
> expected behaviour.

Yeah. There's a separate synaptics property that can enable tap actions in the lower right area. I didn't want to conflate the two functionalities, so I only made presses perform a right click.

Thanks for testing!

-- Chase

Old 02-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Chase Douglas

On 02/17/2012 05:32 PM, Tim Gardner wrote:
> On 02/11/2012 02:58 PM, Chase Douglas wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've spent some time working on making "ClickPad" trackpads work better.
>> I have put the end result up at ppa:chasedouglas/clickpad. I would like
>> some testing feedback for the changes.
>>
>> In this context, a "ClickPad" is any touchpad with buttons integrated
>> into the touch surface. This includes many variations of Synaptics
>> trackpads and all the multitouch Apple trackpads. However, not all
>> devices are detected as clickpads by the kernel, so you may need to
>> manually override the clickpad detection.
>>
>> I have attached two scripts. The first enables clickpad support, and the
>> second enables a "right button area" in the lower right corner of the
>> trackpad. The 'right button area" should overlap with the right button
>> area painted on some ClickPads. You are free to enable or disable it as
>> you wish.
>>
>> The scripts require the device name or id as the first argument. You can
>> query the device name and id by running "xinput list".
>>
>> So what does this do?
>>
>> * You can now perform click-and-drag with two separate fingers
>> * With the right button area enabled, a button press in the area will
>> fire a right button press instead of a left button press
>> * Click actions are possible, but they are an advanced feature I don't
>> want to support yet by detailing them here
>>
>> If we get good feedback on this, then I would like to push it into
>> Precise. I also want to add a checkbox to the mouse settings preferences
>> to enable the right button area too.
>>
>> Thanks for testing!
>>
>> -- Chase
>
> I went to test this on a recent MacBook Air, but it has a Broadcom
> bcm5974 clickpad. Any chance of getting support for that?

It will work out without any changes if you tell X that it is a
clickpad. This is what the enable-clickpad.sh script does.

You just cherry-picked my patch so the kernel tells X that it is a
clickpad automatically, so you won't even need the enable-clickpad.sh
script in the future .

-- Chase