-   -   Why don't we use Mozilla ESR in Precise? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/628880-why-dont-we-use-mozilla-esr-precise.html)

Jo-Erlend Schinstad 02-04-2012 12:51 PM

Why don't we use Mozilla ESR in Precise?

In Precise we've upgraded to version 11 of both Firefox and Thunderbird.
But the reason for starting to upgrade frequently was said to be that
Mozillas support periods were limited for newer versions after 3.6. But
now we have the 10ESR versions of both. Why are they not used instead of
the short-term 11?

Thanks

Jo-Erlend Schinstad

Viktor Basso 02-05-2012 05:26 AM

Why don't we use Mozilla ESR in Precise?

Precise we've upgraded to version 11 of both Firefox and
Thunderbird. But the reason for starting to upgrade frequently was
said to be that Mozillas support periods were limited for newer
versions after 3.6. But now we have the 10ESR versions of both.
Why are they not used instead of the short-term 11?

Thanks

Jo-Erlend Schinstad

I agree, Firefox 10 is the initial Enterprise Support Release and
will be maintained for 9 release cycles with a 2 cycle overlap for
the next version.

That means the next ESR is not due until Firefox 17.

It is illogical to run non-ESR on LTS, unless you are Captain Kirk.

Double Thanks,

Viktor Basso

"Tea Earl Grey Hot"

Ritesh Raj Sarraf 02-05-2012 09:54 AM

Why don't we use Mozilla ESR in Precise?

In Precise we've upgraded to version 11 of both Firefox and
Thunderbird. But the reason for starting to upgrade frequently was
said to be that Mozillas support periods were limited for newer
versions after 3.6. But now we have the 10ESR versions of both. Why
are they not used instead of the short-term 11?

Thanks

Jo-Erlend Schinstad

I agree, Firefox 10 is the initial Enterprise Support Release and will
be maintained for 9 release cycles with a 2 cycle overlap for the next
version.
That means the next ESR is not due until Firefox 17.

It is illogical to run non-ESR on LTS, unless you are Captain Kirk.

And please rebuild and upload xul-ext-lightning and enigmail with
support for TB 11. Even alpha/beta users need calendar and gpg support.

I didn't pay attention to the upgrade. Next time I'll make sure I upload
only when the necessary dependencies are also met.

Ritesh

Timo Aaltonen 02-06-2012 07:34 AM

Why don't we use Mozilla ESR in Precise?

In Precise we've upgraded to version 11 of both Firefox and Thunderbird.
But the reason for starting to upgrade frequently was said to be that
Mozillas support periods were limited for newer versions after 3.6. But
now we have the 10ESR versions of both. Why are they not used instead of
the short-term 11?

Agreed, my ex-colleagues hate it when the version changes every few
weeks on their environment. I'd think it's the same for every
entreprise-y user out there..

Guess it's not possible to provide the ESR release as an option, so that
the upgrade needs to be tested at such sites only once a year instead of
nine times?

Jason Warner 02-06-2012 08:22 AM

Why don't we use Mozilla ESR in Precise?

Hi All -
Firefox ESR is indeed interesting, and it would seem to answer some of the question corporations might have about Firefox, but I think it is less interesting for Ubuntu.*

Firefox*adopted*a rapid release model for various reasons, but among them was that they needed the browser to keep up with the pace of innovation on the internet. Ubuntu needs to be out in front of these things and be pushing the very edge of what is possible,*particularly*in*the*browser. I do not think we can ship a browser that will lag by 12 months in any sense; the risks too far outweigh the rewards.*

I'm afraid that even a year lag (ESR update period) would put Ubuntu at severe disadvantage to other platforms. Imagine a world where G+ or Facebook or some new whizbang product didn't work on Ubuntu because the browser shipped didn't support some new technology/_javascript_ engine/platform component. That is neither something we want nor can afford. We have to be better, we have to be faster and we have to be braver.*

The browser is among the chief components of the desktop that needs to keep pace (or better) and I feel adopting Firefox ESR would be the wrong choice for Ubuntu desktop.*
Thanks,

Jason

Tom Ellis 02-06-2012 09:08 AM

[...]

Hi,

Does anything stop us from shipping it in universe?

I agree that Ubuntu needs to have a browser that supports the very
latest in web technologies, however providing a choice over the default
would be a very good thing for our enterprise users.

Regards,

Tom

Viktor Basso 02-06-2012 09:14 AM

wrote:

In Precise
we've upgraded to version 11 of both Firefox and
Thunderbird. But the reason for starting to upgrade
frequently was said to be that Mozillas support periods were
limited for newer versions after 3.6. But now we have the
10ESR versions of both. Why are they not used instead of the
short-term 11?

Thanks

Jo-Erlend Schinstad

I can agree that Ubuntu "needs to be out in front of these things".

But I do not believe that the Long Term Support releases should.

Petko 02-06-2012 10:23 AM

wrote:

In
Precise we've upgraded to version 11 of both Firefox and
Thunderbird. But the reason for starting to upgrade
frequently was said to be that Mozillas support periods
were limited for newer versions after 3.6. But now we have
the 10ESR versions of both. Why are they not used instead
of the short-term 11?

Thanks

I can agree that Ubuntu "needs to be out in front of these
things".

But I do not believe that the Long Term Support releases should.

+1 on that . That's the actual difference between LTS and regular
releases - that LTS provides a stable environment (which always
costs being aback on the latest technologies ) . So there's the
choice - stable&a bit otdated or changing&latest . LTS
should provide the first (say with the option to upgrade to the
latest version from the repositories) .