-   -   auto enter (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/626615-auto-enter.html)

Pedro Bessa 01-29-2012 11:08 PM

auto enter

summary
not every keyboard has Super - gotcha
merge ctrl, super, alt into ctrl
make cryptic shortcuts expressive - seeing Save for S is expressive
make shortcuts discoverable in the Unity GUI - people will definitely
hit or hold ctrl, will they hold Super?

you hold Ctrl
when you hold Ctrl, we put you in keyboard shortcut mode with auto enter
mode on
dash opens, you hit S, see what you're typing, see Save selected,
discover ShotWell, release Ctrl

when you release Ctrl, the command that you typed automatically runs
so Ctrl+S does what Ctrl+S has ever done

you hit Ctrl
when you hit Ctrl, we put you in keyboard shortcut mode with auto enter
mode off
dash opens, you hit S, see what you're typing, see Save selected,
discover ShotWell, hit enter

when you hit enter, the command that you typed automatically runs
so Super is moved to Ctrl

What do you say now?

Tobia Tesan 01-30-2012 07:33 AM

auto enter

Has *anybody* manufactured a Super-less (read: Windows-less) keyboard
during the last 20 years?

--
Tobia Tesan
<tobia.tesan@gmail.com>

Chow Loong Jin 01-30-2012 09:21 AM

auto enter

On 30/01/2012 16:33, Tobia Tesan wrote:
> Il 30/01/2012 01:08, Pedro Bessa ha scritto:
>> summary
>> not every keyboard has Super - gotcha
>
> Wait, seriously?
> Has *anybody* manufactured a Super-less (read: Windows-less) keyboard during the
> last 20 years?

I'm pretty sure my old Logitech keyboard was Super-less in 1997.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin