-   -   a dream (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/626217-dream.html)

Pedro Bessa 01-28-2012 06:15 PM

a dream

Hi Ubuntu team and community,

we have to make using the keyboard a pleasing experience.

I thought about creating a shortcut for Dash, for Ubuntu Software Store,
for System Settings, but I quickly run into conflicts. If CTRL+S is
save, what is System Settings? So we have to go like the emacs way, but
better.

We hit ctrl once, but we don't hold ctrl, because that toggles on
keyboard shortcut mode.

Calm down! When we hit s, we see save. When we hit c, we see copy. When
we hit f, we see find. It's all there, the old shortcuts.

Going back, we hit ctrl once, then we type Ubu, then see what we're
typing, then see Ubuntu One and Ubuntu Software Center, then hit down,
then Ubuntu Software Center is selected, then hit enter, then Ubuntu
opens Ubuntu Software Center for us.

That's very expressive, so that is very good, because we need to express
intent.

What do you say?

Best regards,
Pedro Bessa

Alex Schoof 01-28-2012 06:23 PM

a dream

The super key already opens the dash. Hit super. Then type sett. Then down. Then enter.

Hold control and press s to save.

-- Alex