Old 02-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Alan Bell

Default It's time to jettison CCSM

On 31/01/12 22:46, Petko wrote:

-- change the package description

sure, but that won't stop anyone

-- put an "apply" button instead of applying changes on site
this is something I think would be good, particularly for enabling or
disabling plugins, now that unity is there any time a plugin is disabled
or enabled the whole stack of plugins get asked to re-read their
settings, at which point unity goes and cries in a corner for 15 seconds
or so, throws out some errors about failing to do garbage collection of
nux stuff (they are from .cpp files so nothing to do with python ccsm)
and then sometimes comes back. - of course someone could actually fix
this in unity, but I am not about to go hacking in that code, I just do
the easy stuff.

-- put a warning "System may brake,are you sure" on clicking apply

s/brake/break/

thus far - things to do instead of removing the package that will put
the fire out. Now some additional stuff:

-- make CCSM launch MyUnity (hell , keep the checkbox - with the
listed changes we have a Safty-ed (I just made that up) power user
tool , so if someone wants to uncheck it he'll know better next time)
I don't like to be nasty about code other people have written, but
srsly! It is in gambas which is kind of a visual basic thing, it looks a
bit like it has multiple pages, but it doesn't, it is one continuous
layout pane 3787 px wide with individual controls scattered over it,
with manual placement - no packing. there are buttons to go left and
right which scroll the huge layout pane left and right. There is no way
to get keyboard focus on the left/right controls and you can tab off the
currently viewable area into stuff you can't see. Interestingly with
orca a user would just think it is one huge page and you can
successfully operate controls off-screen, but that isn't really how this
stuff is supposed to work (and yes, I do know that compiz is more for
visually impaired users than blind users, but I like stuff to work with
orca). Adding or removing a setting in unity and wanting to expose that
new setting in myunity (like turn on and off the HUD, or the overlay
thing that grabs long hold of the super key (I use super+mousewheel for
compiz enhanced zoom bindings)) would mean hacking the myunity thing in
the gambas IDE and placing individual controls, and wiring them up to
gconf calls and then testing. Incidentally there is a *heap* of hard
coded "IF Main.distribuzione = "Ubuntu 11.04" THEN " switches to control
whether it shells out to gconftool or gsettings. The ccsm tool builds a
much more standard gtk interface based on what is in the XML files the
plugins provide to describe their available settings. Add a new setting
to unity, it turns up in the tool, no hacking the gambas, it is just the
architecturally right way to do it.
What would be fine, is to have a mode for CCSM that *just* exposes the
unity plugin. So you can't turn it off, but you can tweak all the things
that the unity developers have declared in the XML file as tweakables.
This would be almost trivial to do, in fact a nice way to do it might be
to add some command line flags to ccsm to allow you to launch it in a
way that doesn't allow plugin enabling and disabling, or just expose a
fixed list of plugins. Or just expose enabled plugins and don't allow
turning them off. It is only really the enabling or disabling process
that unity doesn't seem to like, the rest of the time it is pretty solid
for me.

-- (Nico's suggestion) put a 10 sec period to confirm (and revert
changes when there's been no confirmation) . I'm aware that that
doesn't fix some more major breaks but it fixes a lot of breaks that
are not that bad , but hard for a newb to handle .

that would be good, bit of a challenge to write, but would be good.

--
The Open Learning Centre is rebranding, find out about our new name and look at http://libertus.co.uk

Old 02-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Petko

It's just one of those things that add up to changing the status of ccsm.

[...]

I actually wrote the proposal for MyUnity because I thought it's going
to be an official configuration tool . I didn't know ccsm autogenerates
the configuration UI from XML :^) .

I'm going to tweak the blueprint
(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/ccsm-safeties-p) taking
into account the new info from you .It'd be best to annotate further
thoughts there , so we have the ideas clearly listed and easier to develop .

Petko

Old 02-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Didier Roche