-   -   Reintroducing Ubuntu Classic in 12.04? (Example project for Ubuntu Developer Week?) (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/625273-reintroducing-ubuntu-classic-12-04-example-project-ubuntu-developer-week.html)

Jo-Erlend Schinstad 01-26-2012 08:55 AM

Reintroducing Ubuntu Classic in 12.04? (Example project for Ubuntu Developer Week?)

I've written about Gnome Panel in Ubuntu before. I was wondering if
anyone is working on this, or if there are any plans to do so? My
thoughts (very short this time, I promise:));

Upstream Gnome has rebranded Gnome Panel as a fallback for Gnome Shell.
This includes default theme, the clock is at the center, you have to
hold the alt-key to customize it, etc. This is all fine from a Gnome
perspective, but in no way does it reflect the classic Ubuntu
experience. And a lot of users do want this.

As I see it, this is what must be done in order to achieve that objective:

1) The indicator-applet-complete must be added to official Ubuntu
repositories. JContis PPA has a working port. I've tested it for quite
some time, and it works very well.

2) We should have a meta package called ubuntu-classic that uses a
different default configuration, including the "correct" panel
background color and applet layout (which should include the
indicator-panel-complete). LightDM should display this as Ubuntu
Classic, not as Gnome Fallback.

3) If possible, the press-and-hold-alt-to-customize behavior should be
made configurable in Gnome Panel, and when installing Ubuntu Classic,
this should be deactivated.

Except for 3, this shouldn't require too much effort, I think. But if
nobody is working on this, then might it be a good idea to use this as
an example project for Ubuntu Developer Week?

Jo-Erlend Schinstad