Old 11-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Davor

Default Closer Unity

Keyboard shortcuts have recently been the subject of discussion after the
statement that unity requires "heavy mouse use". After few days i must
agree.
In Gnome menu you needed 2 clicks and few seconds to start any application
- Unity takes clicks and time.
You cannot put all of them into launcher (you can - but...you know what i
mean).
And there are some of them, not very suitable for launcher, that i
frequently use like gedit, calculator, or terminal and things like program
killer.

1.

I'm not too enthusiastic about using the keyboard shortcuts for two major
reasons:

- it is not convenient for touch screens
- if I have to use two hands for keyboard shortcut, I must let go the
mouse and take my eyes off the screen

Mouse is much more appropriate for gui navigation.
As an inveterate Opera user I recalled mouse gestures:
http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/gestures/

Maybe something like that could bring Unity closer to users.

There is middle click unused. Or Right doubleclick. Or holding left, and
then right click - and variations. Then combine it with scroller. Separate
behaviours in empty space and window area or launcher area.

There should be easy mouse gesture for workspace switcher, windows
switcher and other window controls. Show desktop (and restore windows on
same gesture) too.

Can window be grabbed with mouse and throwed onto next workspace?

2.

But that does not solves quicker application access. There are not two
panels anymore, so i suggest CUSTOM DASH. Holder where you can put your
application starters "not very suitable for launcher"(like gedit),
indicators (wheather, system, classic menu), favourite folders shortcuts
and files you`re currently working on.
Custom dash should be very easily started with mouse from window or empty
area or from launcher.
Starters, files and folders should have right click option "add to custom
dash" (or magic dash or...) - which opens custom dash with desired
shortcut ready on mouse cursor, so you can place it where you want it.
It could be transparent area like dash is, that opens in window -not full
screen- so when you leave that area it closes down (no need for two clicks
if you change your mind).

3.

Settins are now in one place, and i like it...
...but i don`t think they belong in launcher - they should be part of dash
(below with home, apps, files and music).

?

--
Davor Buday

Old 11-24-2011, 08:06 AM
Didier Roche

[...]

Hey Davor,

It's true that if you don't use the keyboard for searching, unity
requires quite some additional clicks (right now, this will get
better in Precise) to geet what you want. However, this mean that
you never search on the web to get an information and don't use the
keyboard as well?

Anyway, this kind of design discussion should rather happens on the
ayatana mailling list, where the unity designers are:

http://unity.ubuntu.com/getinvolved/#design

I invite you to post your thread there as well to reach the relevant
people

Thanks for your feedback,

Didier