-   -   Make better use of the Menu key. (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/600499-make-better-use-menu-key.html)

Jo-Erlend Schinstad 11-20-2011 11:48 AM

Make better use of the Menu key.

Considering last nights thread about keyboard use, I thought I'd start a
topic with ideas for keyboard improvements.

This thread is about ideas for improving the utilization of the Menu
key. That's the one on the keyboard between Alt Gr and right ctrl, in
case you had forgotten the entire button. :) It currently has only one
function; to open a context menu within an app. This is very wasteful. I
suggest it be used like this:

* Pressing and releasing menu: same as now. Open apps context menu.
* Shift+menu: replaces F10 and opens the first menu on the focused app's
menubar.

* Menu+F-x: Open the menu for the Nth indicator.
* Menu+num: Open the Nth launcher entry's quicklist.
* Menu+envelope (email)-button: open the envelope (message) menu. That
makes sense, huh?

* Menu+Esc: open the power cog menu.
* Menu+print screen: open the Take Screenshot dialog.

I'm sure there might be other useful shortcuts, like having a shortcut
to system preferences, which after, all can be considered a menu.

What do you think?

Jo-Erlend Schinstad

Davor 11-21-2011 10:03 PM

Make better use of the Menu key.

Good thinking.
Really forgotten key.

What about:
Menu+Right Ctrl - Opens kind of classic gnome menu - all applications in dash with filters {like in this picture *http://www.ubuntuklub.com/images/stories/oneiric/oneiric_dash_app.png (is this possible?)}

Dana Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:48:19 +0100, Jo-Erlend Schinstad <joerlend.schinstad@gmail.com> napisao/napisala je:

> Considering last nights thread about keyboard use, I thought I'd start a
> topic with ideas for keyboard improvements.
>
> This thread is about ideas for improving the utilization of the Menu
> key. That's the one on the keyboard between Alt Gr and right ctrl, in
> case you had forgotten the entire button. :) It currently has only one
> function; to open a context menu within an app. This is very wasteful. I
> suggest it be used like this:
>
> * Pressing and releasing menu: same as now. Open apps context menu.
> * Shift+menu: replaces F10 and opens the first menu on the focused app's
> menubar.
> * Menu+F-x: Open the menu for the Nth indicator.
> * Menu+num: Open the Nth launcher entry's quicklist.
> * Menu+envelope (email)-button: open the envelope (message) menu. That
> makes sense, huh?
> * Menu+Esc: open the power cog menu.
> * Menu+print screen: open the Take Screenshot dialog.
>
> I'm sure there might be other useful shortcuts, like having a shortcut
> to system preferences, which after, all can be considered a menu.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Jo-Erlend Schinstad

-- Davor Buday--
ubuntu-desktop mailing list
ubuntu-desktop@lists.ubuntu.com

Chow Loong Jin 11-22-2011 03:51 AM

On 20/11/2011 20:48, Jo-Erlend Schinstad wrote:
> Considering last nights thread about keyboard use, I thought I'd start a topic
> with ideas for keyboard improvements.
>
> This thread is about ideas for improving the utilization of the Menu key. That's
> the one on the keyboard between Alt Gr and right ctrl, in case you had forgotten
> the entire button. :) It currently has only one function; to open a context menu
> within an app. This is very wasteful. I suggest it be used like this:
>
> * Pressing and releasing menu: same as now. Open apps context menu.
> * Shift+menu: replaces F10 and opens the first menu on the focused app's menubar.
> * Menu+F-x: Open the menu for the Nth indicator.
> * Menu+num: Open the Nth launcher entry's quicklist.
> * Menu+envelope (email)-button: open the envelope (message) menu. That makes
> sense, huh?
> * Menu+Esc: open the power cog menu.
> * Menu+print screen: open the Take Screenshot dialog.
>
> I'm sure there might be other useful shortcuts, like having a shortcut to system
> preferences, which after, all can be considered a menu.
>
> What do you think?

The Thinkpad E220S (and other laptops in the same range) have no menu key. In
its place is the print screen key. If we're going to add functionality to this
key, we're going to have to duplicate the shortcut to other keys as well, or
break the experience on this range of laptops (and other keyboards which might
not have a menu key).

I think it's also fairly common to have the menu key used as the Compose key or
Multi_Key, so if we're going to use the Menu key for these use cases, we're
going to have to forgo that use-case.

--
Kind regards,
Loong Jin