Old 11-19-2011, 09:50 PM
Owas Lone

Default EOG vs Shotwell Viewer

Hi,

Will EOG still be the default image viewer in Precise?
I think shotwell viewer has matured enough to replace EOG. It has all
the expected features and more + consistency for free

So which will be the default image viewer for Precise?

Thanks!
--
Owais Lone
hello@owaislone.org

Old 11-19-2011, 11:06 PM
Manish Sinha

> I think shotwell viewer has matured enough to replace EOG. It has all

> the expected features and more + consistency for free

Even I feel Shotwell viewer should be used as image viewer. Just a small issue I face is that it takes more time to open (personal experience)

The basic image editing features like crop etc in shotwell viewer are really nice things.

-

Manish

Old 11-20-2011, 08:44 AM
Owas Lone

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 5:36 AM, Manish Sinha <manishsinha@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> I think shotwell viewer has matured enough to replace EOG. It has all
>> the expected features and more + consistency for free
>
> Even I feel Shotwell viewer should be used as image viewer. Just a small
> issue I face is that it takes more time to open (personal experience)

I think it opens fairly quickly on Precise.

--
Owais Lone
hello@owaislone.org

Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Omer Akram

Hi!

To my testing and usage shotwell viewer is much slower than EOG, from
opening a high resolution image to zooming on an image so there that's
a very big reason to not switch to shotwell viewer and also I believe
there are still many file formats that shotwell viewer is still not
able to open.

It might be worth exploring to enhance the integration between EOG and
shotwell though.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Manish Sinha

> It might be worth exploring to enhance the integration between EOG and

> shotwell though

I think eog supports python plugins (using libpeas?). So can we have a plugin which adds a button on the toolbar "Edit with Shotwell" which opens shotwell image viewer which has basic image editing features.

-

Manish

Old 11-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Manish Sinha <manishsinha@ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> It might be worth exploring to enhance the integration between EOG and
>> shotwell though
>
> I think eog supports python plugins (using libpeas?). So can we have a
> plugin which adds a button on the toolbar "Edit with Shotwell" which opens
> shotwell image viewer which has basic image editing features.

I couldn't figure out how to get something into the toolbar (probably
just not looking hard enough). Putting it into the menu bar is pretty
trivial: http://paste.ubuntu.com/744385/

-- Andrew Starr-Bochicchio

Ubuntu Developer <https://launchpad.net/~andrewsomething>
Debian Maintainer
<http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=a.starr.b%40gmail.com>
PGP/GPG Key ID: D53FDCB1

Old 11-21-2011, 08:28 PM
Sebastien Bacher

Will EOG still be the default image viewer in Precise?
I think shotwell viewer has matured enough to replace EOG. It has all
the expected features and more + consistency for free

So which will be the default image viewer for Precise?

Thanks!

Thank you for brining the topic, the issue there is to define "image",
shotwell handles photos formats but not images ones (bmp, gif, etc).
Would it be better to different formats with different viewers or would
that be confusing for the users?

--
Sebastien Bacher

Old 11-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Owas Lone

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 2:58 AM, Sebastien Bacher <seb128@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Le 19/11/2011 23:50, Owas Lone a écrit :
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Will EOG still be the default image viewer in Precise?
>> I think shotwell viewer has matured enough to replace EOG. It has all
>> the expected features and more + consistency for free
>>
>> So which will be the default image viewer for Precise?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> --
>
> Hi,
>
> Thank you for brining the topic, the issue there is to define "image",
> shotwell handles photos formats but not images ones (bmp, gif, etc). Would
> it be better to different formats with different viewers or would that be
> confusing for the users?

I was not aware about the fact that shotwell doesn't handle some
formats. I don't think it's a good idea to have different apps for
different formats.

--
Owais Lone
hello@owaislone.org