Old 10-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Robert Ancell

Default Handling Failure Gracefully

Late topic...

In the real world there are always going to be failures, triggered by
things like software bugs, hardware failures and misconfiguration.
Ubuntu should where possible handle common failures and provide
predictable feedback to the user that the system is broken.

I think we have the intention that most of this should work already, but
it would be good to check we've worked out the right failures to handle
and to methodically test they all work in 12.10.

Some common failure cases and what should happen:
- Failure to start X server - Run failsafe X server
- Failure to start any X server - Show error on text console
- Failure to start greeter - Run X server with error message
- Failure to start session - Return to greeter with error message
- Failure of compiz/unity during session - restart compiz/unity
- Failure to start application - show error message
- ...

--Robert

Old 10-26-2011, 05:12 AM
Christopher James Halse Rogers

On Tue, 2011-10-25 at 09:56 -0400, Robert Ancell wrote:
> Late topic...
>
> In the real world there are always going to be failures, triggered by
> things like software bugs, hardware failures and misconfiguration.
> Ubuntu should where possible handle common failures and provide
> predictable feedback to the user that the system is broken.
>
> I think we have the intention that most of this should work already, but
> it would be good to check we've worked out the right failures to handle
> and to methodically test they all work in 12.10.
>
> Some common failure cases and what should happen:
> - Failure to start X server - Run failsafe X server
> - Failure to start any X server - Show error on text console
> - Failure to start greeter - Run X server with error message
> - Failure to start session - Return to greeter with error message
> - Failure of compiz/unity during session - restart compiz/unity
> - Failure to start application - show error message
> - ...

Yes. This is an important aspect of system robustness that I don't
think we've generally paid a lot of attention to.

At the last UDS(?) Bryce and I got together with Colin Watson and
discussed a subset of this problem - around what kernel options the GRUB
recovery mode should set, and when recordfail (to automatically show the
GRUB menu next boot) should be cleared.

I'd be very interested in having a broader discussion about this.