Old 10-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Jo-Erlend Schinstad

Default Multi-screen setups

One area that really needs extra attention, is multi-screen setups.
There are currently numerous issues. Some are just plain bugs, whereas
others need designed solutions. It is currently very inconsistent.

For instance; the panel is displayed equally on both screens and
indicators are shown on all screens. Notifications, however, are only
shown on one screen.The dash, expo and spread views are only shown on
one screen, but the other screen is also dimmed. The launcher becomes
very difficult to use with a mouse on mutli-monitor setups since it's
so very far away. In many cases, it will also appear between two
monitors, which makes it difficult to show.

A few questions:
* Should Unity be mirrored across the monitors?
* Should expo appear on all monitors, but only show windows for the
monitor it's displayed on?
* Should the launcher be displayed on all monitors, and if so, how
should it be shown with a mouse?
* Should the dash, expo, spread view, etc, be displayed only on the
monitor where the mouse pointer is, or a window has focused?

I'm sure there are many other, valid questions.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:23 AM
Bryce Harrington

http://people.canonical.com/~bryce/ExternalMonitor/results.html

Old 10-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Dereck Wonnacott

I use a laptop with an external monitor on a daily basis, I've upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 in hope of finding better multi-screen support but was quite disappointed.

My laptop has an Nvidia card and I was not able to activate my external monitor with unity 3D. [BUG 864784]* HOWEVER, Unity 2D is surprisingly pleasant! I don't feel like I'm using second class software in the slightest. In fact, I rarely notice that I am using unity 2D. It's terrific, thank you guys!

I miss the window snap function on the shared edge of the screens. Snap only seems to work on the far edges of the workspace.

I would REALLY like display hot-plugging to turn on my external monitor when it's plugged in, but I've adjusted to using the nvidia-settings tool every time I boot my laptop.

As for the questions posed by Bryce, here's my two cents as a user:

> * Should Unity be mirrored across the monitors?

I'd be much happier if unity reflected the application use on that screen.

> * Should expo appear on all monitors, but only show windows for the

> monitor it's displayed on?

yes!

> * Should the launcher be displayed on all monitors, and if so, how

> should it be shown with a mouse?

Perhaps as the mouse approaches the top left corner of the screen, it could slide out much like how the the window snap works.

> * Should the dash, expo, spread view, etc, be displayed only on the

> monitor where the mouse pointer is, or a window has focused?

I think it makes the most sense to follow the mouse, rather than mirroring on both screens.

~Dereck
“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.” - Michelangelo

Old 10-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Didier Roche

Le 05/10/2011 17:00, Dereck Wonnacott a crit*:
I use a laptop with an external monitor on a daily
basis, I've upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 in hope of finding better
multi-screen support but was quite disappointed.

My laptop has an Nvidia card and I was not able to activate my
external monitor with unity 3D. [BUG 864784]* HOWEVER, Unity 2D is
surprisingly pleasant! I don't feel like I'm using second class
software in the slightest. In fact, I rarely notice that I am
using unity 2D. It's terrific, thank you guys!

I miss the window snap function on the shared edge of the screens.
Snap only seems to work on the far edges of the workspace.

I would REALLY like display hot-plugging to turn on my external
monitor when it's plugged in, but I've adjusted to using the
nvidia-settings tool every time I boot my laptop.

As for the questions posed by Bryce, here's my two cents as a
user:

> * Should Unity be mirrored across the monitors?

I'd be much happier if unity reflected the application use on that
screen.

> * Should expo appear on all monitors, but only show windows
for the

> monitor it's displayed on?

yes!

> * Should the launcher be displayed on all monitors, and if
so, how

> should it be shown with a mouse?

Perhaps as the mouse approaches the top left corner of the screen,
it could slide out much like how the the window snap works.

> * Should the dash, expo, spread view, etc, be displayed only
on the

> monitor where the mouse pointer is, or a window has focused?

I think it makes the most sense to follow the mouse, rather than
mirroring on both screens.

I know that design worked on that the past 3 weeks to look at the
multimonitor cases in Unity and it's a target for Oneiric. So yeah,
will likely to be discussed at UDS (you can also suggest your ideas
on the ayatana mailing list (see

http://unity.ubuntu.com/getinvolved/)
to reach them.

Didier