Old 10-04-2011, 11:07 PM
Luke Yelavich

Default Accessibility pollish.

Hey folks,

Since Unity has been introduced, many strides have been made with accessibility. Unity 3D is approximately 80% accessible, so far as official oneiric packages go, and unity-2d is 99% accessible, thanks to the great work from the QT a11y folks, and the unity-2d developers. Both are likely to be 100% accessible for the LTS, which is great. However, they are not the only areas of accessibility that need improving.

I have already started making a work item list of issues to address, to give the desktop more pollish when it comes to accessibility. Such issues include:
* Making sure all indicators have accessible descriptions/labels.
* Making sure any icons in indicator menus that need accessible descriptions/labels have them, a prime use case is network manager, to indicate wireless network strength.
* Further pollish on Ubiquity's accessibility, particularly selecting a timezone.
* Connecting up the rest of the accessibility profiles in the ubiquity a11y indicator.
* Further pollish of the unity greeter accessibility experience.
* Make sure the accessibility experience between unity 2d and 3d is the same.

The list I have is slightly more technical and goes into more detail, but what is listed above is the gist of what I have. Whether this needs a session at UDS I don't know, but a blueprint will likely be needed for work items tracking.

Luke

Old 10-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Didier Roche

[...]

Can we add to the list installation and setup process?
I had met some people with disabilities during the RMLL in France
(French FLOSS event) and tried with them ubiquity, + setup Orca +
magnification and I clearly saw that it's was quite buggy and not really
helpful when you don't know all the shortcuts. This kind of tracking
would be helpful. I have a full detailed list of issues we got.

Didier

Old 10-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Luke Yelavich

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 05:07:08PM EST, Didier Roche wrote:
> Can we add to the list installation and setup process?
> I had met some people with disabilities during the RMLL in France
> (French FLOSS event) and tried with them ubiquity, + setup Orca +
> magnification and I clearly saw that it's was quite buggy and not
> really helpful when you don't know all the shortcuts. This kind of
> tracking would be helpful. I have a full detailed list of issues we
> got.

Great to hear, I'd be very interested in having a look at that list, as I am interested to see what you found.

Luke