Old 10-10-2011, 09:03 AM
Martin Pitt

Default Video playback?

Sebastien Bacher [2011-10-04 20:49 +0200]:
> Should we go for the new version and deal with issues or stay safe with
> the old version using xv, or look for a different video player to use?

My gut feeling is that introducing clutter into main, and dealing with
all the fallout is not a good idea for LTS. If clutter is the future,
then 12.10 is a good cycle to give it some testing.

What we should do, though, is to update totem in the ubuntu-desktop
PPA, so that interested people can try it out on various hardware?
That doesn't help us with armel packages, but at least the ARM devs
can easily grab the source package and build it.

Martin
--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Old 10-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Sebastien Bacher

Le lundi 10 octobre 2011 à 11:03 +0200, Martin Pitt a écrit :
> My gut feeling is that introducing clutter into main, and dealing with
> all the fallout is not a good idea for LTS. If clutter is the future,
> then 12.10 is a good cycle to give it some testing.

Hum, I'm not sure I agree with that, my concerns where to make the
default video player rely on clutter. I think we should get clutter on
the CD next cycle for other GNOME components that started using, those
use it mainly for some bling and nice feature and performances shouldn't
be an issue in those cases

Sebastien Bacher

Old 10-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Sebastien Bacher

Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Sebastien Bacher

Le mercredi 05 octobre 2011 à 15:17 +1100, Robert Ancell a écrit :
> in a simple mode (much like Shotwell does for browsing photos) is can
> cover both the "managed" and "ad-hoc" use cases

One comment about "simple mode" or "easy and light preview" needs that
came a few times in the discussion, those should be in part addressed if
we get the gnome-sushi previewer on the CD

--
Sebastien Bacher

Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Sebastien Bacher

Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Zygmunt Krynicki

W dniu 08.10.2011 17:29, Frank pisze:

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Shane Fagan
<shanepatrickfagan@ubuntu.com <mailto:shanepatrickfagan@ubuntu.com>> wrote:

Hey Didier,

> People trying to use video have the same critics that when
> they don't look the audio support: slow to start, confusing
interface and so
> on.

Well there is a bit of an interesting give and take here and it should
be talked about. The people who complain about a player being slow to
load are not the people that are really in the target any more its
people who want more features but dont care if it takes 2-20 seconds
to open.

For me, I cannot agree at all, all features should be in plugins and by
default applications should offer absolutely minimum features so that
they load as quickly as possible. Then, as users wish to do something,
the plugin can be loaded on demand - the currently situation is that all
plugins are loaded automatically but this takes additional time.

I disagree unless you can demonstrate that users are familiar with
plugins, enjoy turning them on and off and in general are happy with
this concept.

I know how "good" plugins are from a developer's point of view but don't
confuse software architecture with user interface design and usability.

In my opinion the application is not important, the important part is
common component library: a common playback component so that the user
feels in control and familiar with the interface (regardless of using
banshee in library or in ad-hoc mode), common codec support (so that
there are no files which only open in one mode and force the user to
hunt for 3rd party player that discards all integration benefits) and
eventually common media library APIs so that 3rd party applications may
integrate with your music, movies and photos (as evidenced by the surge
of apps that do this on iOS with great success).

Thanks
ZK