Old 10-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Sebastien Bacher

Default Desktop sound theme,effects?

Hey,

That's a small topic, but the current sound theme and effects are not
great, the "sound effect" configuration tab doesn't make lot of sense
either. Would somebody be interested to pick up on that and improvement
it next cycle? We were also speaking about disabling the startup sound
so it would be nice to have an easy way to turn it back on for those who
like it ;-)

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Old 10-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Shane Fagan

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Sebastien Bacher <seb128@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> That's a small topic, but the current sound theme and effects are not
> great, the "sound effect" configuration tab doesn't make lot of sense
> either. Would somebody be interested to pick up on that and improvement
> it next cycle? We were also speaking about disabling the startup sound
> so it would be nice to have an easy way to turn it back on for those who
> like it ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Sebastien Bacher

Hey Seb,

To be honest id love if we got a completely new sound theme that is
more discrete and reflects the style of the clean and modern style of
the desktop currently. I think its something that should definitely be
talked about.

Shane

Old 10-04-2011, 06:51 PM
Eric Appleman

That's a small topic, but the current sound theme and effects are not
great, the "sound effect" configuration tab doesn't make lot of sense
either. Would somebody be interested to pick up on that and improvement
it next cycle? We were also speaking about disabling the startup sound
so it would be nice to have an easy way to turn it back on for those who
like it ;-)

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

I'd like to see a new cursor them to replace DMZ.

Just my 2 cents.

- Eric

Old 10-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

On 2011-10-04 20:43, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> That's a small topic, but the current sound theme and effects are not
> great, the "sound effect" configuration tab doesn't make lot of sense
> either. Would somebody be interested to pick up on that and improvement
> it next cycle? We were also speaking about disabling the startup sound
> so it would be nice to have an easy way to turn it back on for those who
> like it ;-)

Next cycle?

From a user experience perspective I think this is rather important. If
at all possible, I would suggest that Jeremy's
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/libcanberra/ubuntu/revision/132
is uploaded in 11.10.

With that one mistake from https://launchpad.net/bugs/803917 would be
corrected.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj

Old 10-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Martin Pitt

Gunnar Hjalmarsson [2011-10-08 19:32 +0200]:
> >From a user experience perspective I think this is rather important. If
> at all possible, I would suggest that Jeremy's
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-desktop/libcanberra/ubuntu/revision/132
> is uploaded in 11.10.

IMHO "startup applications" is just about the last place I'd look for
sound effects. The "audio" capplet in control-center seems close, and
you can already select a warning noise there (although that's disabled
for me right now). The tab says "sound effects", so perhaps we can add
the GUI there?

Though from my POV, no real need to put it back in the first place.

Martin
--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Old 10-10-2011, 09:08 AM
Martin Pitt

Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Sebastien Bacher

Le lundi 10 octobre 2011 à 11:08 +0200, Martin Pitt a écrit :
> IMHO "startup applications" is just about the last place I'd look for
> sound effects.

Right, it's the wrong place but it might be the easiest workaround if we
want to expose it somewhere in the ui without breaking any ui freeze...

--
Sebastien Bacher

Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 AM
Sebastien Bacher

Old 10-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

On 2011-10-10 11:12, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le lundi 10 octobre 2011 à 11:08 +0200, Martin Pitt a écrit :
>> IMHO "startup applications" is just about the last place I'd look
>> for sound effects.
> Right, it's the wrong place but it might be the easiest workaround
> if wewant to expose it somewhere in the ui without breaking any ui
> freeze...

I too agree that "Startup Applications..." is not the optimal place, but
I thought that that tiny change might be possible to upload to 11.10.

IMO, providing an easy way to control the login sound is highly
desirable. At least you can point at it when people ask...

Old 10-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Matthew Paul Thomas