-   -   Working VNC (or no VNC) (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-desktop/583544-working-vnc-no-vnc.html)

Sebastien Bacher 10-04-2011 06:40 PM

Working VNC (or no VNC)

Hi,

That's a small topic but seems vino and compositing (i.e unity) don't
work really fine together:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vino/+bug/772873

Not sure if that's a driver issue, xorg, vino, other but the issue is
not new and doesn't reflect nicely on Ubuntu, I think we should be
honest about it and either care enough to make it work in most cases or
drop vino from the default installation.

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Bryce Harrington 10-04-2011 09:00 PM

Working VNC (or no VNC)

On Tue, Oct 04, 2011 at 08:40:43PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> That's a small topic but seems vino and compositing (i.e unity) don't
> work really fine together:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/vino/+bug/772873
>
> Not sure if that's a driver issue, xorg, vino, other but the issue is
> not new and doesn't reflect nicely on Ubuntu, I think we should be
> honest about it and either care enough to make it work in most cases or
> drop vino from the default installation.

Interesting history of problems, but it appears to work in general, at
least for me:

http://people.canonical.com/~bryce/Photos/vnc_unity.jpg

That is with two Intel graphics machines running natty, both running
unity (also tested unity+metacity and metacity+metacity) with one vnc'd
to another over a wireless network.

With unity on, display updates seem rather slow but it's still basically
usable.

Googling around, I found that at one point NVIDIA had to put out a fix
(http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2255561). Pitti had
mentioned a couple months ago that this is an -fglrx specific issue,
which well could me; if that can be confirmed, we could just have
Alberto add it to the AMD bug escalation list for 12.04. What do you
think?

Bryce

Sebastien Bacher 10-05-2011 09:13 AM

Working VNC (or no VNC)

Le mardi 04 octobre 2011 à 14:00 -0700, Bryce Harrington a écrit :
> Pitti had
> mentioned a couple months ago that this is an -fglrx specific issue,
> which well could me; if that can be confirmed, we could just have
> Alberto add it to the AMD bug escalation list for 12.04. What do you
> think?

In fact https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/353126 would have been a better
bug to point, comments in both bugs list users having the issue on
nvidia, ati and intel. There is not a lot of intel users comment so
maybe those are another issue or bogus and it might be that the nvidia
issue is fixed. In any case it would be nice to at least do a call for
testing on Oneiric to see where we stand and if it's driver specific. If
the issue is fglrx specific then escalating to amd seems a good idea
indeed

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher

Marc Deslauriers 10-05-2011 11:58 AM

Working VNC (or no VNC)

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 11:13 +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le mardi 04 octobre 2011 à 14:00 -0700, Bryce Harrington a écrit :
> > Pitti had
> > mentioned a couple months ago that this is an -fglrx specific issue,
> > which well could me; if that can be confirmed, we could just have
> > Alberto add it to the AMD bug escalation list for 12.04. What do you
> > think?
>
> In fact https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/353126 would have been a better
> bug to point, comments in both bugs list users having the issue on
> nvidia, ati and intel. There is not a lot of intel users comment so
> maybe those are another issue or bogus and it might be that the nvidia
> issue is fixed. In any case it would be nice to at least do a call for
> testing on Oneiric to see where we stand and if it's driver specific. If
> the issue is fglrx specific then escalating to amd seems a good idea
> indeed

FYI, On Natty, I experienced the issue on my Intel laptop, but not on my
Nvidia laptop. I've added the xdamage workaround before upgrading to
Oneiric, so I don't know if it's fixed or not. I use the remote desktop
functionality both when I'm not at home, and for tech support to my
family, so if it gets removed, it would be nice to have an alternative
take it's place...

Marc.

Bryce Harrington 10-05-2011 06:17 PM

Working VNC (or no VNC)

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 07:58:21AM -0400, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> FYI, On Natty, I experienced the issue on my Intel laptop, but not on my
> Nvidia laptop. I've added the xdamage workaround before upgrading to
> Oneiric, so I don't know if it's fixed or not. I use the remote desktop
> functionality both when I'm not at home, and for tech support to my
> family, so if it gets removed, it would be nice to have an alternative
> take it's place...

It looks to me like it basically works, modulo maybe a bug or two.
So removing it seems unnecessary; just need to isolate and prioritize
those bugs.

Routine testing of the feature going forward wouldn't be a bad idea
either.

Bryce

Sebastien Bacher 10-05-2011 06:59 PM

Working VNC (or no VNC)

Le mercredi 05 octobre 2011 à 11:17 -0700, Bryce Harrington a écrit :
> It looks to me like it basically works, modulo maybe a bug or two.
> So removing it seems unnecessary; just need to isolate and prioritize
> those bugs.

I'm not convinced about that, the bug has a count of 325 users having
the issue (which is quite high compared to most desktop bugs we get) and
it's a point that comes often on user forums as something being broken
in Ubuntu, I would like to get extra datas ... maybe we should do a call
for testing on it during the Oneiric rc testing?

Testing that feature regularly in the feature seems a good idea indeed

--
Sebastien Bacher

Bryce Harrington 10-05-2011 07:41 PM

Working VNC (or no VNC)

On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 08:59:43PM +0200, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le mercredi 05 octobre 2011 à 11:17 -0700, Bryce Harrington a écrit :
> > It looks to me like it basically works, modulo maybe a bug or two.
> > So removing it seems unnecessary; just need to isolate and prioritize
> > those bugs.
>
> I'm not convinced about that, the bug has a count of 325 users having
> the issue (which is quite high compared to most desktop bugs we get) and
> it's a point that comes often on user forums as something being broken
> in Ubuntu, I would like to get extra datas ... maybe we should do a call
> for testing on it during the Oneiric rc testing?

Yeah, that bug (#353126) is open for over two years so re-testing is a
good idea. I notice in particular many of the bugs listed as dupes are
in the 300000-400000 range, with only one filed in the natty timeframe.

The comments from 2011 are all either from people running older
Ubuntu's, or -fglrx, or don't specify.

I wish we could track and see what distro version those Affects Me were
reporting against, or when they were set. It is possible most of those
were from Lucid/nvidia users (who gained the fix in a later release),
but we don't know. Looking at the dupes and comments it seems like a
valid guess.

Anyway, a call for testing during oneiric rc seems a good suggestion.
But I think as a next action, I think I have all the hardware I need to
test it myself, so I'll try and do that today or tomorrow. I would hate
to spin up a bunch of people to do testing if there really are obvious
breakages...

> Testing that feature regularly in the feature seems a good idea indeed

Is this something the QA could / would be willing to do? Seb, do you
know if vino has a way to automatedly turn it on & config it ala dbus or
something?

Bryce

Sebastien Bacher 10-06-2011 04:46 PM

Working VNC (or no VNC)

Le mercredi 05 octobre 2011 à 12:41 -0700, Bryce Harrington a écrit :

> But I think as a next action, I think I have all the hardware I need to
> test it myself, so I'll try and do that today or tomorrow. I would hate
> to spin up a bunch of people to do testing if there really are obvious
> breakages...

Thanks Bryce!

> > Testing that feature regularly in the feature seems a good idea indeed

(was supposed to be "in the futur")

> Is this something the QA could / would be willing to do? Seb, do you
> know if vino has a way to automatedly turn it on & config it ala dbus or
> something?

The enable option is a gsettings key so "gsettings set org.gnome.Vino
enabled true" should do it

Cheers,
Sebastien Bacher