Old 10-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Martin Pitt

Default Integrate language-selector to control center

Sebastien Bacher [2011-10-04 11:24 +0200]:
> I think we should work on making the upstream "region" capplet do what
> we need and deprecate language-selector in its favor if we can ;-)

Big +1. language-selector is pretty horrible code, I'd love to get rid
of it. We will probably need to keep a distro specific bit like
check-language-support which will determine the missing i18n packages
based on the packages you already have installed. However, I'd like to
rewrite this script from scratch.

I'm not sure how to integrate it best, whether to implement it as part
of a distro specific "hook" in control-center (it probably will need
one to figure out which distro packages to install for a newly added
language), or whether it should become a method of accountsservice
(although that sounds like an abuse to me).

Rodrigo probably has the best idea of where to put it?

Thanks,

Martin
--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Old 10-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Rodrigo Moya

On mar, 2011-10-04 at 12:41 +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Sebastien Bacher [2011-10-04 11:24 +0200]:
> > I think we should work on making the upstream "region" capplet do what
> > we need and deprecate language-selector in its favor if we can ;-)
>
> Big +1. language-selector is pretty horrible code, I'd love to get rid
> of it. We will probably need to keep a distro specific bit like
> check-language-support which will determine the missing i18n packages
> based on the packages you already have installed. However, I'd like to
> rewrite this script from scratch.
>
> I'm not sure how to integrate it best, whether to implement it as part
> of a distro specific "hook" in control-center (it probably will need
> one to figure out which distro packages to install for a newly added
> language), or whether it should become a method of accountsservice
> (although that sounds like an abuse to me).
>
> Rodrigo probably has the best idea of where to put it?

not really yet. There was some discussion about having it in the session
interface of PackageKit (which apt-daemon implements). That seems to be
the best place so far, better than having distro specific code in g-c-c.

Old 10-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Gunnar Hjalmarsson

On 2011-10-04 11:24, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> I think we should work on making the upstream "region" capplet do
> what we need and deprecate language-selector in its favor if we can
> ;-)

I'd like to share some thoughts on how to proceed with this task in a
way that would make it easier to prevent that desired functionality is
lost in the process.

One of the language related changes in Natty was the conceptual
conversion of the lists for selecting the user language from locale
choosers to language choosers. The idea is that the lists should reflect
the available (= installed) translations, and it was implemented both in
language-selector and in the Ubuntu version of the GDM 2 language chooser.

The related code is in Oneiric available through two Ubuntu specific
patches in accountsservice. As one of the first steps now I would
suggest that those patches are modified to fit g-c-c, and that GNOME
starts using accountsservice builds that include those modified patches.
Among other things I think it would be a smooth way to start making
upstream g-c-c provide the functionality of the Ubuntu g-c-c patch
52_ubuntu_language_list_mods.patch which then could be dropped.

These are a few other matters I think need to be addressed/taken into
consideration:

* accountsservice should provide the properties and methods needed to
store both the language and the regional formats preferences.

* It has been suggested that PAM is used to set the language/locale
environment at login.

* g-c-c needs a control for maintaining the LANGUAGE list. Possibly that
control should be provided in a separate tab for 'advanced' settings.

* controls for handling inputh methods (ibus etc.) and fontconfig.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj