Old 09-23-2011, 03:19 PM
Jeremy Bicha

Default Proposed desktop-extra set

There's been some discussion about making a new desktop seed for
Universe packages. I believe a main driver is to allow those of us
who've been working on gnome-shell but aren't Core or MOTU yet to
avoid having to get everything sponsored. Also, since ~ubuntu-desktop
already has commit rights to the GNOME stuff in main, it makes sense
that they have the rights to the GNOME part of universe too. Here's a
proposed starter list from ricotz and me:

alacarte
anjuta
anjuta-extras
caribou
cheese
clutter-gst
ekiga
eog-plugins
epiphany-browser
epiphany-extensions
evolution-mapi
gedit-plugins
gjs
gnome-applets
gnome-backgrounds
gnome-contacts
gnome-games-extra-data
gnome-panel
gnome-shell
gnome-system-tools
gnome-tweak-tool
gthumb
mx
mutter
seed
sound-juicer
tracker

Jeremy

Old 10-24-2011, 03:07 AM
Jeremy Bicha

On 23 September 2011 11:19, Jeremy Bicha <jeremy@bicha.net> wrote:
> There's been some discussion about making a new desktop seed for
> Universe packages. I believe a main driver is to allow those of us
> who've been working on gnome-shell but aren't Core or MOTU yet to
> avoid having to get everything sponsored. Also, since ~ubuntu-desktop
> already has commit rights to the GNOME stuff in main, it makes sense
> that they have the rights to the GNOME part of universe too. Here's a
> proposed starter list from ricotz and me:
>
> alacarte
> anjuta
> anjuta-extras
> caribou
> cheese
> clutter-gst
> ekiga
> eog-plugins
> epiphany-browser
> epiphany-extensions
> evolution-mapi
> gedit-plugins
> gjs
> gnome-applets
> gnome-backgrounds
> gnome-contacts
> gnome-games-extra-data
> gnome-panel
> gnome-shell
> gnome-system-tools
> gnome-tweak-tool
> gthumb
> mx
> mutter
> seed
> sound-juicer
> tracker

Hi, now that Precise is open for business, I'd like to ping this
proposal again. Thanks!

Jeremy

Old 10-24-2011, 04:27 AM
Martin Pitt

Hello Jeremy, DMB,

Jeremy Bicha [2011-09-23 11:19 -0400]:
> There's been some discussion about making a new desktop seed for
> Universe packages. I believe a main driver is to allow those of us
> who've been working on gnome-shell but aren't Core or MOTU yet to
> avoid having to get everything sponsored. Also, since ~ubuntu-desktop
> already has commit rights to the GNOME stuff in main, it makes sense
> that they have the rights to the GNOME part of universe too. Here's a
> proposed starter list from ricotz and me:
>
> alacarte
> anjuta
> anjuta-extras
> caribou
> cheese
> clutter-gst
> ekiga
> eog-plugins
> epiphany-browser
> epiphany-extensions
> evolution-mapi
> gedit-plugins
> gjs
> gnome-applets
> gnome-backgrounds
> gnome-contacts
> gnome-games-extra-data
> gnome-panel
> gnome-shell
> gnome-system-tools
> gnome-tweak-tool
> gthumb
> mx
> mutter
> seed
> sound-juicer
> tracker

This looks very appropriate to me. Sending to DMB for official
confirmation, if that is acked, I can create a new desktop-extra
package set and put ~ubuntu-desktop into it. I believe we can't put
them into ~ubuntu-desktop directly, as this is autogenerated from
seeds.

Thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Pitt | http://www.piware.de

Old 10-24-2011, 04:56 AM
Micah Gersten

On 10/23/2011 11:27 PM, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hello Jeremy, DMB,
>
> Jeremy Bicha [2011-09-23 11:19 -0400]:
>> There's been some discussion about making a new desktop seed for
>> Universe packages. I believe a main driver is to allow those of us
>> who've been working on gnome-shell but aren't Core or MOTU yet to
>> avoid having to get everything sponsored. Also, since ~ubuntu-desktop
>> already has commit rights to the GNOME stuff in main, it makes sense
>> that they have the rights to the GNOME part of universe too. Here's a
>> proposed starter list from ricotz and me:
>>
>> alacarte
>> anjuta
>> anjuta-extras
>> caribou
>> cheese
>> clutter-gst
>> ekiga
>> eog-plugins
>> epiphany-browser
>> epiphany-extensions
>> evolution-mapi
>> gedit-plugins
>> gjs
>> gnome-applets
>> gnome-backgrounds
>> gnome-contacts
>> gnome-games-extra-data
>> gnome-panel
>> gnome-shell
>> gnome-system-tools
>> gnome-tweak-tool
>> gthumb
>> mx
>> mutter
>> seed
>> sound-juicer
>> tracker
>
> This looks very appropriate to me. Sending to DMB for official
> confirmation, if that is acked, I can create a new desktop-extra
> package set and put ~ubuntu-desktop into it. I believe we can't put
> them into ~ubuntu-desktop directly, as this is autogenerated from
> seeds.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Martin

I've added this to the agenda for tomorrow's meeting at 14:00 UTC, but
due to the late notice and that it's only a 1 hr meeting, we might not
get to it.

Thanks,
Micah

Old 10-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Iain Lane

Hiya,

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 06:27:32AM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hello Jeremy, DMB,
>
> Jeremy Bicha [2011-09-23 11:19 -0400]:
> > There's been some discussion about making a new desktop seed for
> > Universe packages. I believe a main driver is to allow those of us
> > who've been working on gnome-shell but aren't Core or MOTU yet to
> > avoid having to get everything sponsored. Also, since ~ubuntu-desktop
> > already has commit rights to the GNOME stuff in main, it makes sense
> > that they have the rights to the GNOME part of universe too. Here's a
> > proposed starter list from ricotz and me:

Can we please have a description that we can use for the packageset
against which we can:

a) Check the proposed initial list
b) Verify additional packages against in future

I don't know if we'll get to this today. We have already turned away
some applicants for being < 1 week, so attending to this would seem odd.

FWIW I think that this kind of set is a good idea.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane [ iain@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer [ laney@debian.org ]

Old 11-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Sebastien Bacher

Le 24/10/2011 10:10, Iain Lane a écrit :

Can we please have a description that we can use

Hey Iain,

The description would be pretty similar to the desktop set but for the
components which are not in the default installation (or those who are
in universe), it's basically what would we needed on top of what
ubuntu-desktop is maintaining to maintain a rather vanilla GNOME

--
Sebastien Bacher

Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Jeremy Bicha

On 7 November 2011 11:07, Sebastien Bacher <seb128@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Le 24/10/2011 10:10, Iain Lane a écrit :
>>
>> Can we please have a description that we can use
>
> Hey Iain,
>
> The description would be pretty similar to the desktop set but for the
> components which are not in the default installation (or those who are in
> universe), it's basically what would we needed on top of what ubuntu-desktop
> is maintaining to maintain a rather vanilla GNOME

The proposed description from today's meeting was "Every package that
is NOT in main, but needed for a vanilla GNOME. Vanilla GNOME is
defined by upstream in gnome-suites-core, gnome-suites-core-deps, and
gnome-apps http://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/tree/modulesets"

Below is a list of what would be included. I kept vinagre and the mono
pieces since those are expected to drop from main soon.

Jeremy

CORE

epiphany-browser
gdm
gnome-applets
gnome-backgrounds
gnome-bluetooth
gnome-contacts
gnome-icon-theme-extras
gnome-packagekit
gnome-panel
gnome-shell
gnome-sushi
mutter
notification-daemon
packagekit

CORE Dependencies

caribou
clutter
clutter-gst
clutter-gtk
cogl
fonts-cantarell
gjs
gnome-video-effects
java-gnome
libchamplain
seed
tracker

Apps

abiword
accerciser
alacarte
anjuta
babl
banshee
cheese
dbus-sharp
devhelp
ekiga
f-spot
ghex
gnome-color-manager
gnome-devel-docs
gnome-documents
gnome-scan
gnome-tweak-tool
gnote
gnumeric
goffice
gthumb
gtk-sharp2
gtksourceviewmm
gupnp-av
gupnp-dlna
gupnp-vala
libgdiplus
monkey-bubble
mono
mono-addons
mx
nemiver
opal
ptlib
rygel
sound-juicer
taglib-sharp
tomboy
vinagre

Should be dropped from ubuntu-desktop
gnome-applets
gnome-panel
gtk-sharp2
tomboy
vinagre

Should be dropped from core
dbus-sharp
taglib-sharp

Old 11-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Iain Lane

Hello,

On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 05:25:22PM -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On 7 November 2011 11:07, Sebastien Bacher <seb128@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > Le 24/10/2011 10:10, Iain Lane a écrit :
> >>
> >> Can we please have a description that we can use
> >
> > Hey Iain,
> >
> > The description would be pretty similar to the desktop set but for the
> > components which are not in the default installation (or those who are in
> > universe), it's basically what would we needed on top of what ubuntu-desktop
> > is maintaining to maintain a rather vanilla GNOME
>
> The proposed description from today's meeting was "Every package that
> is NOT in main, but needed for a vanilla GNOME. Vanilla GNOME is
> defined by upstream in gnome-suites-core, gnome-suites-core-deps, and
> gnome-apps http://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/tree/modulesets"
>
> Below is a list of what would be included. I kept vinagre and the mono
> pieces since those are expected to drop from main soon.

To me, this is almost reasonable except fo the "NOT in main" part. We
should not be considering components when defining sets — they are
orthogonal. In this case it would be fine to say "NOT in
ubuntu-desktop".

If fixed, then we should revisit this in our next meeting; please make
sure it is on the agenda and that you show up.

We should create the packageset with the state of the archive as it is
at the time and update it if things change.

Cheers,

Old 11-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Jeremy Bicha

On 7 November 2011 17:59, Iain Lane <laney@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 05:25:22PM -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:

>> > Hey Iain,
>> >
>> > The description would be pretty similar to the desktop set but for the
>> > components which are not in the default installation (or those who are in
>> > universe), it's basically what would we needed on top of what ubuntu-desktop
>> > is maintaining to maintain a rather vanilla GNOME
>>
>> The proposed description from today's meeting was "Every package that
>> is NOT in main, but needed for a vanilla GNOME. Vanilla GNOME is
>> defined by upstream in gnome-suites-core, gnome-suites-core-deps, and
>> gnome-apps http://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/tree/modulesets"
>>
>> Below is a list of what would be included. I kept vinagre and the mono
>> pieces since those are expected to drop from main soon.
>
> To me, this is almost reasonable except fo the "NOT in main" part. We
> should not be considering components when defining sets — they are
> orthogonal. In this case it would be fine to say "NOT in
> ubuntu-desktop".
>
> If fixed, then we should revisit this in our next meeting; please make
> sure it is on the agenda and that you show up.
>
> We should create the packageset with the state of the archive as it is
> at the time and update it if things change.

There are quite a few components in the GNOME modulelists that are in
main but aren't in the ubuntu-desktop set (polkit, pulseaudio, upower,
etc.). I believe the point of this packageset is for individuals to
join the Desktop Team and contribute to gnome-shell and other parts of
GNOME not on the CDs, without having to join MOTU.

Whether those other components in main should be moved to
ubuntu-desktop is a different topic.

Jeremy

Old 11-08-2011, 01:43 AM
Ted Gould

On Mon, 2011-11-07 at 17:25 -0500, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> The proposed description from today's meeting was "Every package that
> is NOT in main, but needed for a vanilla GNOME. Vanilla GNOME is
> defined by upstream in gnome-suites-core, gnome-suites-core-deps, and
> gnome-apps http://git.gnome.org/browse/jhbuild/tree/modulesets"
<snip>
> gnome-bluetooth

I think that gnome-bluetooth is in main.

--Ted