Old 09-13-2011, 12:40 PM
"Mathias Bynke"

Default Language Chooser at Login 3: The Choosening (or: Keyboard Selector)

På Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:53:33 +0200, skrev Christopher James Halse Rogers
<raof@ubuntu.com>:

Rovanion in #ubuntu-devel brought to me a problem that's related to the
lack of language selector - we also don't have a keyboard selector. I
don't think I've seen this discussed before, and I think it should be
addressed.

The problem description here is:
You have a multi-user system with multiple keymaps. This could be
dvorak/qwerty, or latin/cyrillic is apparently common. Different users
can then have passwords using different keymaps, which means that
unity-greeter needs to be able to understand this.

Either unity-greeter would need to cache each user's keymap and
automatically switch keymap for the password field, or use something
like the keyboard indicator in the greeter.

As a dvorak/qwerty, I see it as a necessity to have a keyboard indicator
easily accessible anytime I need to type my password.
Remembering what keyboard layouts people use would also be a nice and
time-saving feature, but the user _must_ be able to easily figure out and
change which layout is used.
We have to be careful around this, as a newbie user might not realize
what's going on if they suddenly can't log in anymore.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:52 PM
Marc Deslauriers

On Mon, 2011-09-12 at 15:53 -0500, Christopher James Halse Rogers wrote:
> Rovanion in #ubuntu-devel brought to me a problem that's related to the
> lack of language selector - we also don't have a keyboard selector. I
> don't think I've seen this discussed before, and I think it should be
> addressed.
>
> The problem description here is:
> You have a multi-user system with multiple keymaps. This could be
> dvorak/qwerty, or latin/cyrillic is apparently common. Different users
> can then have passwords using different keymaps, which means that
> unity-greeter needs to be able to understand this.
>
> Either unity-greeter would need to cache each user's keymap and
> automatically switch keymap for the password field, or use something
> like the keyboard indicator in the greeter.

Oh, interesting...I had not thought of this issue before. In a
multilingual setup, of course the user must be able to actually select
the right keyboard to at least type in his password.

I guess the keyboard selector at the login screen is necessary after
all...

Marc.